Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:21 AM   #2

Keep it out and ready:|

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:36 AM   #3

Contriver wrote:
Quote:
Are there special camera backpacks?
I was asking that very same question about a week ago. To answer you; Yes, there are several types of backpack-style camera bags. Some only have enough room for camera stuff, and some have extra space to carry light clothing or food along. I'm still trying to decide how I want to go. If youbuy a back-pack type of bag foryour camera whileyou're hiking, does that mean it's going to be packed away whileyou hike? I want my camera out and ready. I'm starting to lean more towards finding the most comfortable way to carry it out and ready. There are some really nice extra-wide, padded straps available along with "stabilizer" straps to eliminate camera swing when you walk. To me, it seems to make more sense.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:46 PM   #4

I have a backpack !!

Its my 3rd camera bag but this one is the good one

You can see pictures of it here ...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 1:05 PM   #5

I recommend bags by Lowepro. They are a bit expensive, but very well made and last a long time. I've got 3 of their bags and I'm very happy with them.

They make a HUGE variety of bags, so they probably have one to fit your needs.

If you can, I highly recommend going to a real camera store with your gear and try out the bags. Loads them up, wear them around the store and see how they feel. Everyone's body is slightly different and a bag that fits me well might not fit you. For example, LowePro bags don't fit people with large frames (over 6") well. Then I suggest Kinesis Gear's equipment. Unfortunately they are much harder to find in stores.
http://kgear.com/

Not every store will *let* you try them out, but push for that. You really won't know if they work for you unless you do.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 1:35 PM   #6

As I said in my earlier post, I'm beginning to think I'd rather find the most comfortable way to carry the camera "out & ready" while I hike, as opposed to packed away in a bag. I just orderd the Optech Pro Strap. I was able to find a few reviews on it, and it seems like a very comfortable strap. Check it out. I think you might like it.

http://www.optechusa.com/product/det...;CATEGORY_ID=4
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 3:31 PM   #7

Gadgetnut has the right idea. Why would you want your camera tucked away in a backback when the best shots in the forest usually happen very fast. The camera needs to be out and ready at all times. The pro-strap looks great.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:17 PM   #8

when you stumble onto Sasquatch or that thought to be extinct Pteranodon, you don't want to have to stop and dig through a back pack to get your camera out. You better have it ready. I have a Tamrac Velocity 9 that will swing around to get to your gear, but my camera is out and ready to shoot, the bag is just for extra lenses, compact flash cards, batteries and stuff like that. Especially hiking, some of the best shots are there and gone before you could even think to get a camera out of a bag.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 2:04 PM   #9

I use an M Rock High Sierra holster shaped bag as a front pack. Normally the camera is lens down in the bag and this provided very quick access to the camera. When needed, I flip the cover open and the camera grip and away I go...Harvey:-)
ltdedorc is offline   Reply With Quote