Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 4, 2003, 1:16 AM   #1

Default Best way to sort through multitudes of digital pics?

Just got back from vacation in Punta Cana with my new Canon G3, and despite the fact that I'm new to the camera, it actually went quite well--of course, most of my pics were taken on the auto setting.

My problem now is that it seems I've taken too many pictures! I brought two Trancend 1GB CF cards, and almost filled them both to capacity. When I run slide shows on my desktop PC, I can see the pics I'm interested in keeping, but the titles aren't listed in the slide show, and when I go back to the thumbnails, I go bleary eyed trying to find the good shots!

My question is, does anyone know of slideshow software that lists the picture titles as the slideshow runs? I can write down the names of the pics if I can see them.
Or--can anyone suggest a better way to sort throught them?

Thanks,

Going Blind.
pennstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2003, 6:38 AM   #2
lg

Try CompuPic.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 8:35 AM   #3

Or EXIFER which is FREE
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 9:20 AM   #4

I like ifanview and it is freeware. Here is the link to the home page:

http://www.irfanview.com/
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 12:29 PM   #5

pennstate

The other feature you'll probably want is the ability to pause/unpause the slidshow so that you can write down the name. I don't know if any of the listed ones can do this, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 1:19 PM   #6

I use BreezeBrowser... it's a shareware program that does a lot of things very well. I open the folder where the pictures are stored then double click the first one. This opens it in a large format, even those in Canon's RAW format. You can scroll through your pictures, deleting the obvious rejects and rotating (no data loss) those that need it. You can then re-name the whole folder full at a time, filling up the holes where the deleted files were located.

I always do this operation in a "scratch disk" folder. Once completed with this operation, you can batch convert your Canon RAW files (to TIFFs or JPGs). Converted files are automatically saved in a sub folder. You can then batch move or copy the TIFFs or JPGs into the appropriate folders for processing in PhotoShop or other editor. I then move my RAW files into a separate folder which I later burn to CDs.

BreezeBrowser is free (limited number of pictures) to try. Registration is about $35. No writing down file names, no loss of EXIF data, no second Canon RAW file converter needed. Best of all, no buggy ZoomBrowser.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 2:51 AM   #7

I use ACDSee used it to organize my 2Gig collection of photos...
Kvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 9:14 AM   #8

Great question, one that I came out here to ask...

I like the software suggestion by wildman, anyone know of an equivalent alternative that handles Oly's .orf (raw) format?
rfphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 4:30 PM   #9

Quote:
I use ACDSee used it to organize my 2Gig collection of photos...
With the brower feature on Acdsee, you also get a preview window to see your pics in.
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 6:15 PM   #10

With ACDsee you can transfer the thumbnail and notes files onto each CD you burn, making it real quick to open and browse an archive.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote