Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:13 AM   #1

These look like simple but effective products to me. The Fast Cap version has to be removed to add or change filtersor can be used without a filter, while the Filter Cap is held in place by a filter (so youneed to have at least one filter on the camera to use the cap). Anyone have any experience with either one? I love the idea of having the cap attached like that.

http://www.optechusa.com/category/second/?CATEGORY_ID=6
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:33 AM   #2

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
These look like simple but effective products to me. The Fast Cap version has to be removed to add or change filtersor can be used without a filter, while the Filter Cap is held in place by a filter (so youneed to have at least one filter on the camera to use the cap). Anyone have any experience with either one? I love the idea of having the cap attached like that.

http://www.optechusa.com/category/second/?CATEGORY_ID=6
My only concern might be if it has an impact on natural light. I would think it might cause issues with a flash like hoods sometimes do. It might also not fully open depending on thehood. I'm not saying it is a problem, but I don't know anyone who has used one.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 11:04 AM   #3

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
My only concern might be if it has an impact on natural light. I would think it might cause issues with a flash like hoods sometimes do. It might also not fully open depending on thehood. I'm not saying it is a problem, but I don't know anyone who has used one.
That's a good point about the hood. I didn't think about that. I do like to use the lens hood on sunny days. I doubt you could have that cap system in place along with a hood. As far as it getting in the way of natural light or a flash; I guess it could depending on where you have it oriented. It looks to me like you can choosewhich directionit swings open. If you have it swing to the bottom, it wouldn't be in the way of the flash. I don't know....they aren't super expensive (around $11 shipped). I might get one sometime and try it out. If I don't like it, at least it's not a big investment.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 11:55 AM   #4

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
That's a good point about the hood. I didn't think about that. I do like to use the lens hood on sunny days. I doubt you could have that cap system in place along with a hood. As far as it getting in the way of natural light or a flash; I guess it could depending on where you have it oriented. It looks to me like you can choosewhich directionit swings open. If you have it swing to the bottom, it wouldn't be in the way of the flash. I don't know....they aren't super expensive (around $11 shipped). I might get one sometime and try it out. If I don't like it, at least it's not a big investment.
Even at the bottom it could reflect light from the flash into the lens. It might not have a significant effect and you are correct... it won't cost you much to try it.

Of course it might earn you the nickname "lab rat" but it the interests of serving your fellow photographers who have made you what you are today :|... I say go for it! :lol:
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:07 PM   #5

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Of course it might earn you the nickname "lab rat" but it the interests of serving your fellow photographers who have made you what you are today :|... I say go for it! :lol:
Lab Rat, eh? LOL. If that's the case and others will benefit from my testing, I think the least you could do is start a drive to fund my research. We can start with the $11 for the lens cap, then maybe we can move onto other items (like flashes and lenses). Hmmmm...I like this idea!!! :G