Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 27, 2006, 2:02 PM   #1

Let's help each other and make it easier and healthier to shop online. What has been your general experience dealing with online vendors when you want to purchase an item,such as acamera, accessory, camcorder, TV, computer or otherwise.

Should we buy online? Are they honest? Do they advertise properly and legally? Can one sue for false advertisement? express yourself and tell all of us interested in what has been your general experience with these folks.

Here is mine. I called a vendor who advertised a sony a100 camera for $725.00 with a US warranty. On the phone I asked if the camera was US warranty. Resp. Yes. What are the items included. Resp. Whatever sony supplies. What's the ship. cost. Resp. $19.00. How long to my destination. 3-10 days. Deal. Gave my credit card. After I gave my CC #, comes the killing bullet. Sir, what kind of battery do you want? 1/2 hr. 2hrs. or super 4hrs? My answer: I thought you said that the included items were whatever sony supplies... His answer: Well sony recommends that you buy a higher capacity battery to avoid disappointments. The included one provide only 1/2hr. the 4hrs. is $149.00. You know the rest of our conversation. Needless to say he canceled the order. What can you do about this? Can you sue this vendor? Does sony provide in the package of A100, a battery for only 1/2hr? What about the damage caused to your blood pressure. Give me/us your feedback. Thanks

j. soccerman
johndefreitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2006, 2:07 PM   #2

Unfortunately, what you experienced is a common occurrence with many online camera/electronics dealers. Many will attempt to bully you into buying over-priced accessories. Some will even call you back after the initial sale to try and push for more. There are many excellent on-line stores with great reputations (Beach camera/Buydig, B&H Photo, Newegg are a few). Your best bet is to ask around on a forum such as this before doing business. If others have been burned, they will be HAPPY to tell you.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 3:35 PM   #3

I agree with gadgetnut completely-

You will soon cut your list of supported online vendors, based on your experience. I have had good experiences with B&H, Beach Camera, Buy Dig (also owned by Beach Camera), and Newegg, and I can certainly recommend them.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 3:40 PM   #4
Administrator

When you see a price that's significantly lower than the other vendors, it's probably a scam.

Most of the vendors using the tactics you're describing are located in Brooklyn. They seem to be able to get away with it there for some reason.

If I lived in Brooklyn, I'd be helping to vote some politicians out of office, since I've seen customers claiming that they reported these kinds of activities to the Attorney Generals office there for years (and yet, they're still in business).

What vendor was it? This one?

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1995.html

If a price looks too good to be true, it probably is. ;-)

See Customer Reviews (and see the note about fraudulent reviews):

Quote:
We detected and disabled 50+ fraudulent "Very Satisfied" reviews for this merchant. Due to the continuous submission of said reviews, we are no longer accepting new reviews for this store as of 1/19/2006.
Or, was it the vendor being discussed in this thread?

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

There are a number of vendors using the tactics you're describing located in Brooklyn.

Suggested Reading:

How to Buy a Digital Camera without being Robbed

Always check out any vendor you consider using http://www.resellerratings.com

If they're not listed, I'd avoid them.

If they have a small number of reviews, I'd avoid them (since vendors have been known to "pad" their own ratings with glowing reviews, and the same old vendors with new business names and web sites pop up often).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 4:56 PM   #5

Cameta Camera isa good online vendor, and I agree that B&H is reliable although they do not always have the lowest prices.

I have decided that if a site absolutely, positively has to have my telephone number before they accept my order, I will shop elsewhere. I'd rather pay a few bucks more than listen to a sales pitch for overpriced accessories.

caliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:52 AM   #6

Another site to help avoid crooks:

http://photo.net//neighbor/one-subcategory.tcl?id=2

Pegleg
Pegleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:39 PM   #7

Another good place to go for ratings is fatwallet.com.

They list deals and you can get store ratings.
ironalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:20 AM   #8

:arrow:I recommend Cameta Camera 150,000 + feedback. Great Customer service
starriderrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:49 AM   #9

Since you stated you cancelled after giving your CC#, you should monitor your card! Here's a case in point on another board: (Click here) He went through the same thing when a price was too good to be true. This should give caution to everybody.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:17 AM   #10

Rufus T Firefly wrote:
Quote:
Since you stated you cancelled after giving your CC#, you should monitor your card! Here's a case in point on another board: (Click here) He went through the same thing when a price was too good to be true. This should give caution to everybody.
Good grief! I wonder if he ever got his tickets to Malaysia!
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote