Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:24 AM   #1

I just got a few lens, one is a UV, the other is a Polarizer, and the other is a fluorescent filter. Should any filters be used indoors? When should I be using the others? I am sorry for what seems to be a basic question, but I am still learing..

thanks..

any other tips would be great...
mezorn26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:20 PM   #2

Personally, I only use polarizer and ND filters, and only outside. Polarizers cause the loss of up to two stops of light, making them difficult to use indoors. Most other filters have been rendered useless as most effects can be duplicated with photoshop. The flourescent filter you have was useful for film because of the color cast caused by flourescent lights when using film balanced for daylight (the most commonly used film type). With digital, you can adjust the white balance automatically through the custom presets (most cameras have a flurescent setting) or by adjusting the final color in post work.

UV filters are completely useless for digital applications. Many will tell you they are great for protection, but IMO, the lens hood does just as well without the possible negative effects like vignetting, softness, and flare that can be caused by cheap UV filters.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:22 PM   #3

thanks for the reply...I am using a rebel xt 350d...So it sounds like I don't need the FL filter..just the PL and UV and only outdoors..

mezorn26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:33 PM   #4

mezorn26 wrote:
Quote:
thanks for the reply...I am using a rebel xt 350d...So it sounds like I don't need the FL filter..just the PL and UV and only outdoors..
...and only if you need the effects of the filter. UV filters don't do much digitally, as digital sensors aren't as sensitive to UV light. The polarizer is used to enhance colors, especially greens and blues and reduce reflections. If you're not trying to achieve those effects, I wouldn't use the filter.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote