Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 5, 2003, 3:44 AM   #1

Default ~500$ Digicam for a complete n00b

Hi all,

I'm looking for a "good" digicam for myself... I don't no much about photography, but I'm eager to learn...

I'v been looking Panasonic DMC-FZ1 as one option... Do you have any other suggestions for me?!?

My criterias are pretty simple...

1. more than 2 megapixels
2. fast to use (so I don't have to wait minutes between taking photos)
3. Cheap (500 - 600 Euros or USD)

I have many more, but don't know the english term to them, so bare with me. I try to explain:

Depth sharpness... so it gives good focus to far and near... It should handle closeup images OK, but I have no need to take closeup images of zits :lol:

I need some zoom, I think that 3x is not enough... alltough my feet do work...

It should be able to take fairly good images in dim light...

...There! I'v managed to describe a Pro cam, and I wan't it with n00b price... :lol:

Thanks for your help in advance,

ps. This site and forum is what I would call some Quality Digicam site! Nice work...

Best regards, from +20C Sunny Finland

Arto Kvick
Kvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2003, 7:57 AM   #2
lg

The Olympus C-2100 has the manual controls the Panasonic lacks. It also has a focus assist lamp for taking pictures in low or no light. It has very sharp focus, and aside from the 10x vs 12x zoom of the Panasonic, has the same features. It comes with all the extras and goodies that most other cameras lack (such as batteries and charger, remote, etc.), and I just bought a refurbished one for $360 US.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:59 AM   #3

That was fast, thanks for you reply....

...I checked the review on mainpage... That Olympus looks like a real good deal... I'll look more into it...

....damn there are so many of those cameras...
Old Jun 7, 2003, 12:54 AM   #4

I'd check out the a70, though it doesn't have the 10x zoom lense of the oly, it has 3 mp res, relatively fast, takes cf mem cards, aa batteries and has all sorts of other features including point and shoot and manual modes. Also, if you ever need more zoom, it can take add-on lenses.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 5:00 AM   #5

...been awhile, but I decided to go to more "compact"... so I bought A80... more Here
Old Nov 7, 2003, 7:13 AM   #6

Given your criteria, budget, and the fact that you are interested in the FZ1, I would wait for the FZ10 which is supposed to be released sometime this month. It is a 4MP camera with manual and automatic settings. It also has a focus ring for manual focus.

Hop on over to the Panasonic forum (here at Steve's) and check out all the buzz.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 7:32 AM   #7

...yes, I'm really interested of that one also... mayby with my next bonus paycheck :shock: :lol: