Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 13, 2002, 3:28 PM   #1

Default whats with this forum....lotsa lookers

New to the forum, hello. Im not trying to complain but when checkin this site out I notice something unusual. The "view" to "reply" ration is nearly 30 to 1. For every 30 time a message is looked at there is just 1 reply. That seems really high....

Are there only a few folks here capable of answering questions? Like I said, this is not a complaint. Heck, I cant answer many of the questions myself.....
Bilbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2002, 3:47 PM   #2

I noticed that too but I assume it's because their are a lot more people looking for answers to the same questions then there are for people who will need to answer the question once it is correctly answered.
butterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2002, 3:53 PM   #3

I think that so many questions pertane to a certain model camera, and since in most cases you would have had to have some experience with the camera model in question only those who have owned one mite have an answer. Not many people have owned more than a few cameras hence the lack of specific knowledge to answer specific questions. Like the what camera to buy question we see alot.
dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2002, 4:23 PM   #4

My opinion is that like me, most people scan alot of post that they may not have info on, but may get some bit of info out of the post. Also it is very hard to answer "Which camera" questions, but you want to look and see if there is something specific the person is looking for that you may have an opinion on. Say they are looking for a good macro camera and didn't metion the Nikon CP series. I would post my opinion there. Also look at the stat page and the post per member ratio (currently 3.9) and the fact that only about 80 members have more than 10 post (1125 current members). Plus the fact that you don't need to be a member to look at all the posts. I myself have a habit of sticking my foot in my mouth, but that way someone can point out that I am incorrect, "Its easier if you take your shoe off first".

OK I've rambled on enough. Post away everybody. And correct me when wrong.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2002, 8:40 PM   #5

Default My $0.02

I think that the views can be misleading. How are you going to know what the post is about unless you click on it? So now you click...it doesn't apply to you or doesn't interest you. Whatcha gonna do?

Besides, how many people read the paper, read articles on the internet and don't send a "Letter to the Editor" on every issue they read about. Most just come here to soak up info. Which is one of the reasons these forums exist. So to me, it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do.

Happy clicking!
Ben Hoog. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2002, 11:30 PM   #6

Ben,

A majority of these questions seem to be asking for advice or help on decisions about product. If no one, or a few a best. reply, what info is being explained.

For example, I asked a question about about my Fuji 4800 going thru a beer bath and a possible replacement for $330 (the repair cost). I got one reply telling me to go to a Fuji S1. No offence but that wansnt very helpful and nothing good was passed onto anyone else. Clearly, one or two of the 16 that read it has an opinion on a good smart media based camera....

Once again, not bitchin, just trying to understand the nature of this particular forum.
Bilbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2002, 9:28 AM   #7

Default ?

I actually saw and read your post on that subject. For me, I didn't have anything of any value to add. I haven't looked in that price range so for me, all I could say would be..."I dunno". That would probably annoy you more than anything.

I would be surprised that out of 16 random views, you would get someone that has an opinion about a smart media based camera. Heres's why....

1. MANY cameras are using CF cards these days. I haven't used one yet that doesn't. And yes, I know that there are those that do use the SM cards as well.

2. Like I said before, the 16 people had no idea what you were going to ask, before they clicked on your message. Maybe most of them were just curious about the "beer bath" and wanted to see what happened.

Anyway, I think your luck will improve. There are more people posting here everyday.
Ben Hoog. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2002, 11:28 AM   #8

This is a terrific forum. I have gotten many good responses to my questions and have gotten a lot out of other peoples. It would be good to have more players because there are such a wide variety of questions, and we only respond when we think we know something about the question. As a serious photographer of 30 years, I'm not ashamed to say that I don't know anything about a lot of questions posted.
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2002, 9:35 AM   #9

I looked at your post because I thought it might be interesting, and it was. I haven't learnt much except that Smart cards are not so popular across the pond.
I have 6 Smart cards which I have used regularly over the last four years, in the UK they are cheaper than C Flash cards. They are 100% reliable so I fail to understand the aversion.
Have fun.
Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2002, 3:37 PM   #10

I run a couple of websites, particularly one on wine, and I have invariably found that lurkers vastly outnumber participants. As hard as it is for participants to believe, many people have NO interest in the give-and-take, or in revealing themselves on the 'net....
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote