Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:21 PM   #1

I just recently got my first DSLR (Pentax K100D) and I'm interested in filters. I'm thinking I'll start with two basic filters...a clear UV filter mostly just to protect the lens, and a polarizing filter. My question is....which brand? Is there any particular brand that's better than the others? I don't want to spend alot if I don't have to, but I don't want to waste money on junk either. Any suggestion?
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2006, 1:09 AM   #2

B+W, Hoya, Nikon, Heliopan, and Singh-Ray make excellent stuff. Tiffen makes good stuff, too, but I don't think that they have quite the rep' that the others have.

Whatever brand you get, go for at least a coated filter. Mulicoating is better, but the price goes way up.

Also, if you have (or plan to get in the near future) several lenses with different filter diameters, buy a filter for the biggest diameter lens and get a step-down ring(s) to attach them to the other lenses. Step-down rings are cheaper than a second set of filters.

I have a few B+W's and Hoyas that I got used off ebay waaaay cheaper than they would have been new. The hunting and bidding is a hassle, though.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:53 AM   #3

Stick with the brands mentioned. Of course get the multicoated ones, they only costs a few dollar more.

I'm surprised you didn't get a UV filter with your camera to protect the lens at day 1.

A $20 dollar filter is way cheaper than getting the lens repaired fom a scratches that

could had occured.
digital demon47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 5:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the info guys. I'll look for those brands.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:34 AM   #5

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. I'll look for those brands.
I only buy Hoya multicoated UV filters. There are expensive, but there is a reputable dealer selling them much cheaper on EBay and I hear they are authentic. I have yet to buy any from EBay, but I'm tired of paying through the nose especially the 77MM size.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 1:00 PM   #6

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
I only buy Hoya multicoated UV filters.
Why is that? Have you noticed a difference between those and a cheaper brand?
Old Oct 2, 2006, 4:57 PM   #7

I have a cheap bottom of the line tiffen polarizer, and a nice top of the line B+W polarizer.... its the difference between kia and rolls royce. Image quality differences are too subjective for me to judge, but the multicoating is important because without it you will often get bad flare. Difference in build quality is huge, but dosent affect image.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 2:39 PM   #8

I have Hoya and Tiffen for filters. No complaints on the Tiffens.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote