Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:07 PM   #1

Default Keeping memory stick inside camera for long time

Is it advisable to keep the memory stick inside the camera when not in use for a long time, say 3-4 months, or is it better to take it out and keep separately?
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:15 PM   #2

I don't have a memory stick based camera, but I never bother taking my memory out, esp. considering I don't use an external reader either; the only time I take my memory card out is when it fills up (on a long trip) and I pop in another one. The last time I took out my memory card was nine months ago.

The only thing I worry about is battery power...I make sure there's always enough power to keep the camera's presets intact. With my camera if there's not enough battery power for over an hour, the presets (that I so carefully set) will disappear. For long periods of non-use I pop in a set of lithium batteries (since they don't self-discharge and they're long lasting, making sure there's no chance of leakage), otherwise I always keep fully charged NiMhs in the camera (if your camera uses a proprietary battery, this may not apply).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 4:23 AM   #3

What I have is a Sony P31 and it uses 2 AA size NiMH batteries. Even if the battery is not inside, it hardly makes any difference. I think it uses a button cell for retaining date etc. Otherwise, there is no setting which is affected due to the absence of batteries. May be it is different with other cameras.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 8:23 AM   #4

I wouldn't think keeping memory in the camera could damage it.

With my camera (Canon S45), it doesn't matter how long you leave the memory in for. I've never removed mine since I bought the camera.
Grand Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 10:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
What I have is a Sony P31 and it uses 2 AA size NiMH batteries. Even if the battery is not inside, it hardly makes any difference. I think it uses a button cell for retaining date etc.
In that situation I'd still keep fresh batteries in the camera, so it's using power from the high capacity NiMHs rather than the buttoncell.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 10:50 AM   #6

I would not worry about keeping your memory stick in the camera. I use my camera several days a week. I would say that I shoot at 4 days a week. If you plan to leave your camera in storage for long periods of time then you should remove the batteries. Long time would be defined as more than 3 weeks.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2003, 1:22 PM   #7

I'd suggest taking it out of the camera a couple of times per year to reseat the contacts. You could probably get away with never taking it out though.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote