Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 6, 2003, 8:34 AM   #1

Default "Photo CD" program?

I take a lot of photos of people in our theatre, and members often ask me for a copy of the photos on CD.

The trouble is, most of these people don't know too much about computers. They don't have any image viewing software on their computers, and they probably wouldn't be able to install it even if I supplied them with it.

What I would like is a small, simple program that I can put on a CD that will show people all the photos on the CD. It needs to be something that runs off the CD, and doesn't require installation. It doesn't have to be very sophisticated, all it really needs to do is to scale the photos down (or up) so that they fill the screen and people know which file they're looking at, in case they'd like to print it out.

Does anyone know if there's anything like this?

Thanks.
Grand Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2003, 9:07 AM   #2

Do you have Windows XP? If yes, then download and install the slideshow wizard (part of Power Toys) and then burn the resulting slide show to CD. Then make an autorun file to start the slide show as soon as the CD is inserted.

I don't know the specifics on how to make the autorun file, but I am sure that someone on here does or you can Google for the information.

BTW... Here's what the slideshow would look like:

http://nlj.jacobfam.net/images/SlideShow/default.htm

If you don't have Windows XP, then go to freeware.com and search for slideshow software.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 10:05 AM   #3

Email me and I will email you a program called vueslide. Doulbe click the exe file and the program will start a slide show on their comuter.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 10:52 AM   #4

Default Re: "Photo CD" program?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Dizzy
I take a lot of photos of people in our theatre, and members often ask me for a copy of the photos on CD.

The trouble is, most of these people don't know too much about computers. They don't have any image viewing software on their computers, and they probably wouldn't be able to install it even if I supplied them with it.

What I would like is a small, simple program that I can put on a CD that will show people all the photos on the CD. It needs to be something that runs off the CD, and doesn't require installation. It doesn't have to be very sophisticated, all it really needs to do is to scale the photos down (or up) so that they fill the screen and people know which file they're looking at, in case they'd like to print it out.

Does anyone know if there's anything like this?

Thanks.
have a look here should be everthing you need.
lill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 2:40 PM   #5

As usual, Irfanview will do that...

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 3:34 PM   #6

Thanks for the help, guys! I'll check out all yor recommendations to find the one that suits me best.

gibsonpd3620, I appreciate that; it's very kind of you. I'm sure I'll be able to get a copy off the Web, but I'll get in touch with you if I can't find it.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 4:06 PM   #7

Try this link for a download.

https://www.hamrick.com/arc.html
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2003, 7:59 PM   #8
lg

Digital Photo Slide Show is shareware that costs $20 to register. It meets all my needs for doing exactly what you asked. Just hand them a CD of pics, they put it into their CD-ROM drive, and the slideshow you made automatically comes up and runs exactly as you configured it.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 5:38 PM   #9

PhoPlay is excellent freeware, with no spyware or ads. It can start up automatically from a CD. It is "green," which means it does not change the register of your computer and has no need for an installer. You can just drag it (and the autorun.ini file that it creates) to a CD.

I add it to every CD of photos that I distribute.

While composing this reply I looked for PhoPlay (also known as PhotoPlay) on the web, and found that the author has released a donation-ware version named PowerSee Player with more features. You can find it at http://www.unidreamtech.com/psp.html
I have not tried it yet.
===

I tried out the new PowerSee Player beta, with bad results. It has great transitions and background music, but is extremely sluggish on my 1.3 GHz Celeron. A couple of times I thought the computer had crashed, and then it started responding again.

It's unclear to me if you can drag the application onto a CD and distribute it as a self-starting slide show.

I hope that the author continues to improve it as he knocks out the beta problems on the way to a release version.
austex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 1:40 PM   #10

Thanks for the info... extremely useful