Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 7, 2003, 5:27 PM   #1

Default Bad cameras survey?

This thread over on DPReview sounded like a good idea to me. A survey of people who have received a 'problem' camera from an online seller, who they bought it from, the problem, their experience returning it or getting it fixed. The idea is to see if there is a pattern of dealers who repackage returned cameras and resell them. Anybody think that is a good idea?
Bob Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2003, 9:56 PM   #2

It's not a bad idea. Personally, I go to resellerraitings.com and read the reviews. I throw out the "amazing, better than sliced bread" reviews, because those could be from employees. Most people don't write that way about a store. I read the content of the bad ones. Is the problem about charging before the item ships? Or maybe they whack you on returned items (and even more evil, they ship you bad things intentionally to then collect on the return.) The good stores really do only get a few complaints.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 5:02 PM   #3

Hello, Eric:
I think the idea would be to spot any pattern of dealers; etc. who do ANYTHING that is not kosher. Be it repackaging less than new condition merchandise, ripping people off on returns as you said, anything. If someone were to keep survey info posted by these camera forums, it might be useful to all of us. Any ideas, anyone?
Old Jun 8, 2003, 7:54 PM   #4

I think the thing to do is make aware sites like http://www.resellerratings.com
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 11:05 AM   #5

Yes, I like Resellerratings.com. However, one, they seem more oriented toward computers. And two, they provide a 'top down' rating system; ie: "From the Best to the Worst" which tends to steer purchasers to the best stores. But what about the miriad other buyers who have already spotted the deal they want to purchase, but don't know anything about the seller? All they can do is check the "Resellerratings" type sites and if the store they are contemplating buying from isn't listed therein, they are stuck.

What I am thinking of would be a "Bottom Up" rating system where one could quickly see if a camera store or on-line source they are considering purchasing a camera from has been on the up-and-up. It has been speculated on DPReview forum that "From the number of similar complaints about such things as focus problems, hot pixils, unsealed boxes; etc., there could well be an unscrupulous few cameras suppliers that keep sending out the same equipment over and over to unsuspecting customers, hoping that eventually someone will just keep it and not complain." Sure, if their store isn't listed here either, they might be still be stuck, but it would be additional information for their buying decision to be based on. Does that sound reasonable?

PS: Here is one of the quotes from a posters that got me to wondering:
"If people who receive bad cameras (mis-aligned AF lights and viewfinders, many bad pixels etc.) would state *where* they got these cameras - maybe sooner or later there might be a pattern apparent.
Maybe some bigger retailers are really black sheep and re-pack returned/faulty ones and re-sell them...who knows ?
Old Jun 10, 2003, 8:49 PM   #6
NTT

I usually go to the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and check out the vendor that I'm interested in doing business online. This helps me to see what is their stand with the BBB. The BBB's ratings are quite thorough. If they're not even listed on the BBB, I don't even bother doing business with them.
NTT is offline   Reply With Quote