Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 8, 2006, 5:52 PM   #1

I wont say it's a dilemma but an interesting question.

Over the last couple of months I have collected a couple of new cameras. I bought an A620 from dell for $174 in June. I have used it a few times and really like the camera. Everything that has been said about the A620 fits with my experience with the camera. Last week Staples was clearing out the SD500 Elph for $150. I couldn't resist picking one up as I always thought that it would be great to have a subcompact as it would get much more use.

Now my current collection of cameras is a Canon A85, a Canon A620 and an SD500.

The SD500 is a keeper. I've had it just a week and have taken it with me on several casual occasions where you wouldn't think photo opps would occur. I've gotten a few fun pics just because the cam was there.

I'd like to expand in the hobby. However my hopes and aspirations probably won't exceed more than an enthusiast. I'd like to be able to be proficient enough to see an image and capture as close to it's natural look as possible. Assuming the following figures from our favorite auction site, lets assume sales prices $50 for A85 and $225 for A620. So should I............

A) Sell the A85 and A620 and apply the dollars to a DSLR

B) Sell A85, Keep the A620 and perfect more complex photography techniques with this camera.

C) Sell A620, Apply proceeds to DSLR. Keep A85 as the knock around cam.

Let me know what you think.

Walt
waltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:24 PM   #2

I'll vote for "B."

If you use the A620 as a "learner," then you will be more familiar with the ins & outs of digital photography with a decent camera. After some experience, you'll begin to see the strengths and weaknesses of the camera which will give you a far more realistic yardstick with which to measure the DSLR market. That way, you're more likely to end up getting a DSLR with the strengths you value and that minimizes the weaknesses. If you shoot regularly, and under different conditions, you may learn exactly what you want before the auction price drops very far on the A620.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 1:29 AM   #3

D) Sell the A620 and buy a nice, used Panasonic FZ10. This will give you the feel of a DSLR and will cover the focal lengths of the most common lenses you would use with a DSLR. Learn its capabilities from inside out, and it will make the transition to a DSLR easier and more enjoyable.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 4:41 PM   #4

I like the idea of a super zoom point and shoot. I spent a couple of hours at my local wolf yesterday and had a chance to really look at a couple of SLR's vs A superzoom.

I'm starting to lean toward picking up an FZ.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:00 PM   #5

Well I decided.

I picked up a used FZ20 off Ebay for $192. As luck would have it the person selling was local.

I plan to sell the A620. Should cover the FZ20.

Gonna keep the A85. The camera is too nice to let go for $50 bucks on ebay. Still small enough to carry and has a bit more exposure control over the SD500. It'll be good to have it for known low light situations like a dinner or wedding.

Will shoot with the FZ20 for a while and keep my eye on FZ30 prices

Walt