Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 8, 2003, 7:08 AM   #1

Default inexpensive digital camera

:?: I don't even know how to run a 35mm camera but am interested in a digital camera to take pics to be able to sell on ebay. What is the least expensive digital camera for dummies I can buy?
abichana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2003, 8:10 AM   #2

Default Re: inexpensive digital camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by abichana
... a digital camera to take pics to be able to sell on ebay. ...
What are you taking pictures of? Small diamonds? Large yaughts? Real Estate? Comic books?

At the resolution that makes sense for eBay, lighting and background choices are going to have more to do with getting a good photo than the choice of camera. Depending on what you are selling there will be other desirerable features, but some that you will for sure want are:
*- Tripod socket - Hard to overstate the importance of camera stability.
*- Remote shutter release, or at least a timed delay. - so you can trip the shutter without moving the camera.
*- Adjustable exposure/metering - likely you will be shooting against a white or black background at times. Automagical metering just won't do the job, though you probably don't need more than just being able to "bias" the exposure +-2 stops.

None of those features will add much/anything to the price of the camera, though they do drop off most of the under $50US thingies.

A good tripod is a joy to have, and a cheap one just gathers dust at the back of a closet. Since you are going low budget, I'd suggest getting one of the units that clamps onto something. Then you can nail a 2x4" over your stuff and clamp it in place.

Spend some time looking at lighting tutorials. That will serve you better than thinking much about the camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 9:26 AM   #3

Bill, I agree...I think a picture is worth a thousand words. Would you explain the 2x4 part again.
Thanks
abichana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 10:28 AM   #4

"Least expensive" will cost you in quality. For instance you can buy a JamCam for under $50, but it will take poor pictures and it has very low resolution (640x480 or 4x3" medium quality print).

I actually started out with a JamCam (not that I recommend it except for the youngest of young children)...at the time I wasn't that serious about digitial. After a few months of it I decided I wanted a better camera with a very long zoom, and spent over $650 on a good camera.

Anyway, I suggest starting out with a used one of the lower end models of Olympus, Canon, Kodak, etc. and see how you like it. As you learn you will want more. I'd get one that has automatic point and shoot capabilities (of course), but also can be used manually in case you want to experiment.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 4:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by abichana
Bill, I agree...I think a picture is worth a thousand words. Would you explain the 2x4 part again.
Thanks
Something like this:

at http://www.clamperpod.com/ is one example. If a chair back doesn't put your camera into the right place, nail a bit of lumber in a place where it does.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote