Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 8, 2003, 7:49 PM   #1

Default Opinions on Sports Action camera

Hi to all.

Been reading the forums and didn't find this info.

I am very interested in taking lots of action shots, basketball, football, wrestling, baseball, lacrosse (sports as you see).

I used to have the Olympus 2100 UZ, but sold it as I wanted more megapixels. I know have the Minolta Dimage 7i. I hate it very much and need something else. I have seen at many events digital cameras that "sports picture people" take (they sell them there)...I realize they are probably much more money, but at this point I am willing to spend it (well, to a degree)....

I am sure the Dimage is a great camera but I just can't get the shots I want.

Any suggestions? I guess I would be looking for a digital SLR.....
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2003, 8:20 PM   #2

Yup, if you want little or no shutter lag you are looking at a dSLR, for a LOT more money.

Suggest you go into a good, professional photo store and talk with the reps about which cameras are recommended for shooting things like basketball...don't say anything beyond that...don't say you want a dSLR, just say "digital camera" and see what they come up with.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 8:28 PM   #3

Do you think it is the Minolta or am I doing something wrong. I have it on sports, and try to prefocus.....also have the ISO at 400 and have tried 800.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 8:42 PM   #4

whats wrong with your photos?
davebaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 8:45 PM   #5

If you tried prefocus, did you release the shutter button after it focused and then when the action hit the point you want, then press the shutter again? That would reintroduce the shutter lag. You could also use manual focus and that will reduce the shutter lag quite a lot.

But I'm only assuming that shutter lag is the problem. Maybe you have another problem?
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 8:47 PM   #6

The pictures come out very blurry.

I am just pretty stupid when it comes to this. I am used to point and shoot and it works, that is why looking at possibly a dslr.

I just hold the button down and then when the action comes i snap.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 2:21 AM   #7

Sounds to me as if you are prefocussing then moving with the action until you snap a picture. Chances are the reason the pictures are blurry is that the focus is no longer correct when you snap the shot or you are moving the camera.

You don't say what sport you are photographing. If it is indoor such as basketball under artificial lighting conditions chances are your shutter speed is too slow to freeze the action.

I use an Olympus C-720 UZ for soccer photography. The need to prefocus to reduce overall lag is a pain but with practice I am able to achieve a fairly high success rate and have had a number of my photos published in local newspapers and one national magazine.

The C-720 UZ is a significantly lesser camera than the Minolta.
I would give my eye teeth (so to speak) for a D7i.
Richard Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 5:27 AM   #8

[quoteI am used to point and shoot and it works, that is why looking at possibly a dslr.
[/quote]

i my opinion a dslr would be harder to use, manual focus, fully manual etc

do you have any of your "blurry" photos unedited with the exif data online?
davebaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 5:41 AM   #9

Thanks for the help. Mostly I take indoor sports. But will be taking some baseball and football coming up.

Is my best bet to change the shutter speed and aperture. Or should I leave those alone and try just putting on the sports mode?

I have read the manual, but better read it again as it seems I didn't get it!

I don't have any pictures currently because I deleted them.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 9:02 AM   #10

I'd read what the sports mode does first. On the Canon 10D, sporst mode doesn't set a high shutter speed (which I expected.) So ya, it looks like a little reading is in order (for both of us!)

If the D7i has a focus tracking mode, you could try that. They can be a little tricky to use, but you can get good results once you get the hang of it. It would allow you to lock focus on one subject (a player) and then track their movements while letting the camera keep them in focus. It looks like the D7i has this feature and calls it "Continuous Focus" from looking at Steve's Review of the camera. I'd check the manual to be sure I understood it correctly.

If you use Continuous Focus or not, you will want a faster shutter speed to stop the action.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote