Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:12 AM   #1

Default Shutter Speed

What is a good shutter speed? MY camera is sooo SLOW!! When i look in the LCD, and when i move the camera, the image is soo chopy! and the camera speed tells me that shutter speed is too slow. 1/3 to 1/1000
i have the PDR 2300
any suggestions?
faibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2003, 1:01 AM   #2

Hello fellow Torontonian.

Asking what's a good shutter speed is like asking, "How long is a piece of string?" It's as fast as you need it depending on light levels, and the effect you want (freeze the action, or blurred). The only thing about shutter speed is you want to try and keep it above 1/30th because anything slower will capture any camera movement.

There's a lot of reading to do on this, a good place to start is http://www.photocourse.com which has a free online "book" on the basics. Also check out the photography books at the library (since I'm from T.O., I can say there are a lot of great books available in our libraries).

As for the choppiness of the LCD, the Toshiba PDR 2300 is one of the lower-end cameras (MSRP of $230US), so I guess they use cheaper (slower) components.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:36 PM   #3

It's up to the individual.

Personally, anything faster than 1/15 is fine for me.

If I really don't want to have to worry about keep the camera still though, I'd prefer something like 1/50 or faster.

If I don't mind a bit of a blurry shot, then I can (and do) take photos at 1/4, 1/2 and 1. But you need some kind of support or extremely steady hands.
Grand Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:55 PM   #4

First of all. There's nothing such as a "good shutterspeed". It all depends on, what you're shooting. First of all you need to know the relation between shutter and apterture.
(with a risk to be accused of horrible things...)
You could visit my website - direct link to this issue is:

http://www.hertz-ladiges.com/galphot...re/5apert.html

and feel free to e-mail me with questions!

regards
Klaus
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 1:10 PM   #5

Thanks guys, what kind of cameras do you have? Do you have chopiness on your LCD? I do and most of my pics come out blurry.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 1:16 PM   #6

Are you talking about when you use the LCD as a viewfinder, or when makeing/viewing movie files?

Mine is an Olympus C-700UZ.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 1:23 PM   #7

Yes, the LCD as a viewfinder. Its very chopy and I always get an Icon saying that the shutter speed is low. Secondly, when I look thru pictures from my SD card on my camera, it takes SOOO long to load pictures, but on my friends Kodak 3700 DX, it takes less than 1 second, is my camera a cheap on?
Old Jun 11, 2003, 6:38 PM   #8

Default Shutter Speed vs. CCD Imager Speed

Shutter speed has nothing to do with how fast the image is updated through the LCD viewer/CCD imager. That would be an issue with the processor and the size of the CCD imager.

The viewer in a 2 megapixel Canon Powershot A40 does not display the choppiness motion that a 4 megapixel Minolta DiMage S414 does.

I could be wrong about the Toshiba, but the shutters on these two cameras do not cycle while viewing.
APhool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 6:44 PM   #9

how about the canon s100?