Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 9, 2003, 9:48 PM   #1

Default weatherproof cameras...is it necessary?????

I'm about to buy my first digital camera ..the Canon A70 . Do I need to worry about it being 'weatherproof' . I live in Vancouver Canada where it rains ..(a lot) and i dont want to be worried about taking out the camera in bad weather. Is a digital camera more suseptible to water damage than a film camera??

Im fustrated about doing a lot of research to find a camera i like and then discover that i have to be careful about the rain etc. I will be using the camera on hiking /camping trips etc . Will this be a problem??

I have also cosidered the Olympus Stylus 300 purely because of its weather proofing but i dont like it as much as the Canon. I cant really afford to go into a more expensive range...

Any advice would be appreciated!!
Zola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2003, 11:44 PM   #2

Digital cameras have been called "computers with a lens". I suspect digicams are more suseptible to rain (and being dropped) than some film cameras.

I live in Washington State where it also rains a lot. I have never had a problem with rain with either of the two digital cameras I have owned, but admit I am careful in the rain. Try to keep the camera under cover whenever possible. Avoid driving rain and extreme cold, because of water and battery power considerations. Always keep it in a case while you're not using the camera.

Sounds like I'm talking down digicams... I'm not. Just use some care and you'll be OK. You'll love being able to shoot a lot of pictures and the ability of throwing away lousy ones without printing them. Get a spare set of batteries and a big storage card (keep the old one as a spare). These things eat batteries, especially when you use the flash and review your pix a lot. People LOVE to see the picture you just took!
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 4:36 PM   #3

I agree with wildman, as long as you use common sense and some caution, the camera should be fine. Eventually, however, you may want to look into getting the waterproof case canon has available if you really feel the need for extra protection. This will not only protect your camera from the rain and allow you to take it underwater, but it will also protect the camera from things such as dirt and sand as well as any other small particles associated with camping/hiking.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 4:46 PM   #4

Canon (and maybe some thrid-party manufacturers) offer an underwater housing for the A40. I just looked at the www.powershot.com and Canon lists a Waterproof Case (Model WP-DC 700) as an accesory for the A70. This may be something to save up for as it is $240 direct from Canon. But with this, you will not have to worry about how hard it is raining, or if you go out on a boat. The fun part of the case is that you could take underwater pictures of your kids/nieces/nephew/ when they are swimming in the pool.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:32 PM   #5

I had a Sony video camera that went bad after a I took it out right after a rain fall in a place in Hawaii where it was very very humid. I thought it was alright to try to use, and it was fine till I got back to my hotel. It was doing many goofy things like starting and stopping all by itself. I think any kind of electronics, even cell phones are very prone to damage from water. And of course, no matter what warranty you have, most will not cover water damage. I guess just be carefull!!
djkothbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 11:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Do I need to worry about it being 'weatherproof'
Only when it's raining or you're swimming.

Seriously though, Olympus have just released waterproof cases for their latest digicams - PT-014, PT-015, PT-016, look em up.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:27 PM   #7
SSD

You can get the weatherproof case for the A70 for $199 at www.bhphotovideo.com

This is a very reliable dealer and I have bought from them many times.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 1:02 PM   #8

Hey I live in vancouver too..

I've taken my a60 out in the rain... well I always covered it somewhat and when its only spitting out.

But lately there hasn't been too much rain
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 8:45 PM   #9

One solution is to move to Australia .. it rained only 4 days last year (not as nice as it sounds).

Other than that, I agree with you ..... it would be VERY reassuring noit to worry about the weather, especially on treks ... so if it is a concern for you then save extra hard and buy the case.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 2:40 AM   #10

Australia?!
Southern California's got it all, scorching sun, little rain, death valley, brush fires giving u lung cancer while developers tear down the hills and overpopulate the place, ahhh. . . i loathe this stinkin valley. But other than that, i'd either cover the cam or get the casing.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote