Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 10, 2003, 2:01 PM   #1

Default Need advice. Considering upgrading from Nikon 880

I do more digital pictures than video. I was thinking about the new Sony CD500 they have out to replace my Nikon 880 and the JVC SVHS 740U. It supposely takes awesome pictures, and you can have video if you want as well. Most my videos I take I want to get them on the computer anyways.

Easy to use to get pictures off of. Just take the CD out and put it in the cdrom drive.
I want good quality as well.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/cd500.html

What do you guys think of this?

Reason I want to get rid of my 6 month old JVC is that any battery I get for this camera it won't last more than 30 min at the most. I bought a 6 hr battery, it lasts 30 -45 min. The original one barely last 15 min. So I am thinking about upgrading now.

How much you think my old Nikon 880 is worth? Still takes awesome pictures. In excellent shape. It has the rechargeable unit and battery as well. The only part that was damaged was the lense cap but its still usable. It got to close to a hot item and melted a part of the cap itself. Cap was not on camera at time, but it still latches on and still seals.
russz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2003, 5:25 PM   #2

I'm not a fan of digicams that write on cd or fd. They have moveable parts, record images slowly, the cd500 only has the lcd screen and no optical viewfinder or evf and i have heard that due to their built in cd burners, you have to be relatively gentle to these cams unless u wunt a $700 paperweight. Ur old 880 shud fetch a decent price, but i'd check out wut they're going for on ebay for a better idea of wut it's worth.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 7:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark50
I'm not a fan of digicams that write on cd or fd. They have moveable parts, record images slowly, the cd500 only has the lcd screen and no optical viewfinder or evf and i have heard that due to their built in cd burners, you have to be relatively gentle to these cams unless u wunt a $700 paperweight. Ur old 880 shud fetch a decent price, but i'd check out wut they're going for on ebay for a better idea of wut it's worth.
Thanks for the advice. Anyone else have any?
russz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:38 PM   #4

Read the thread titled, "movies with a digital camera":
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=10756
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 5:56 AM   #5
NHL

The JVC SVHS 740U is a video camera, with limited still pictures capability... and sVHS in this day of DV and Digital8!

You have to make a choice first: Do you want the above or a digicam with limited video capabilty? The day of getting one camera to do both is not yet here, it's getting closer and closer though... 8)

http://www.tvtechnology.com/dailynews/one.php?id=1181
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote