Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 18, 2006, 3:49 PM   #1

I'm just curious, could someone point me toward the absolute best examples of indoor, home photography? And by that I mean pictures taken inside someone's home, with primarily incandescent lighting - NOT A STUDIO. Posed or candid, I really don't care. I just want to see what the standard is for capturing that environment.

digraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:23 AM   #2

digraph wrote:
Quote:
I'm just curious, could someone point me toward the absolute best examples of indoor, home photography? And by that I mean pictures taken inside someone's home, with primarily incandescent lighting - NOT A STUDIO. Posed or candid, I really don't care. I just want to see what the standard is for capturing that environment.

Indoor home photgraphy demands a quality Tripod. Next, the room must be dissected by the centerline of the camera lens. That is, if the room is ten feet high, the centerline of the camera must be at 5' even, to prevent converging lines. The camera must be level and the lens should be an f/1.8-f/2rectilinear lens. 24mm is the ideal width in that it does not introduce distortion in all but the longest/largest rooms.

Set your camera on full manual, f/5.6 - 1/30th shutter speed to start and adjust from there.

You should replace all the regualr bulbs in the room withGE natural bulbs.Barring that, you can buy "Photoflood" incadescent bulbs ($4 each, 10 hour lifespan) to place in the light fixtures and lamps.

You can buy "shop" lights w/aluminum bowls ($10-$12) w/$4 Photoflood bulbsto use to light the dark spots and corners, or even use them asfill on your subjects, adjusting their effects by moving them backwards or foward in relation to the distance from your subjects.Shop lights also work well when you want to highlight a feature in the room.

Barring the purchase ofshop lights, and wanting only to shoot the room, mount a dedicated flashon the camera, set the above (starting settings), place the camerain second curtain mode and shoot. You will have to work hard to get the proper lighting, especially if you don't repalce the bulbs as suggested. I do not know the room you will be shooting, but the above are basics that will get your startted.

. You should not (I beg you) let your client in the room during the shoot. If your camera is digital, review the shots before you show them to your client, ruthlessly culling the bad and marginal shots.

**A client (anyone) in the room will work your a$$ off for little or no return

AlAsaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:04 AM   #3

Any photos? I'd like to see this.

Andrew LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:35 PM   #4

As in real-estate photography? Plan on adding light.

I've only done a little of this and I'm no expert, but in this example I have a flash bouncing off the cieling from near camera position, and a flash in the lamp (the lamp is actually off). I could have used a bit more light, I had to lift the shadows some in photoshop.

7D, 17mm, radio triggers on two dedicated flashes
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:47 PM   #5

You might be interested in this site too:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/09...with-room.html
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote