Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 10, 2003, 4:36 PM   #1

Default Best shade to also help steady a camera?

Hi,

I have noticed that one weakness I have is holding a steady shot when the shutter is a little slow because I use the LCD and not the optical viewfinder on my CP4500.

I plan on getting an LCD hood soon for the summer, but wanted to know first if anyone knows what ones might be best for the camera that may also be able to rest on/around my eye to steady the camera.

Thanks!

Jeremy
airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2003, 6:09 PM   #2

Hi Jeremy,

My suggestion is the Xtend-a-View - here's a link - I won't leave home without mine - I use them with all my digicams. Also I would suggest the Omni mount for it to attach.

Lin

http://www.photosolve.com
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 5:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the link. Are there any that might be cheaper?

Has anyone used the hoodman (http://www.hoodmanusa.com/Digital_still_cameras.htm) or V4F visor (http://www.photodon.com/v4f.htm)?

Thanks,

Jeremy
Old Jun 12, 2003, 5:17 PM   #4

There probably are, but this one will last a lifetime and is top quality. I've not found any other which I would want to recommend - the Xtend-a-View is by far the best available.

Lin
Old Jun 12, 2003, 5:52 PM   #5

What are the advantages of the omni mount, other than the lack of velcro. Won't the straps provided or velcro work?

Thanks,

Jeremy
Old Jun 12, 2003, 8:52 PM   #6

Yes, the velcro works fine, but if you are using the camera for digiscoping it's nice to have a mechanical mount so you don't bump it and knock it off accidentally. Also with the omni mount you can swing the Xtend-a-View to the side without taking it off if you want access to the LCD without having you eye directly on the viewfinder of the Xtend-a-View. It's a "convenience" not a necessity.

Best regards,

Lin
Old Jun 12, 2003, 10:55 PM   #7

May I ask what digiscoping is? ops:

I think I'll try it as it comes, and buy the mount only if I need it... my plan is to use it when I take regular pictures (ie holding the camera), and probably not when I'm using a tripod, as then I probably need to be closer to the camera...

I can always buy the mount at a later date, I guess- and velcro can come off with GooGone
Old Jun 12, 2003, 11:46 PM   #8

Hi,
Sorry I should have explained that. Digiscoping is using a telescope for a camera lens. In the relevant sense it's usually done afocal (shooting through the eyepiece of the telescope) and most commonly with a very tiny lens camera like the CP series of Nikon cameras. I use the CP4500, CP990 & CP950 with the Swarovski ST-80 HD and Meade ETX-90.

With these type cameras which have no true TTL viewfinder, once you connect any accessory lens, you "must" use the LCD to compose and focus. Since it's very difficult to see the LCD with sunlight to your back, the Xtend-a-View is absolutely necessary. Also since you are shooting at extreme focal lengths - typically 2500mm to 6000mm, focus is extremely critical so the 2X magnification of the Xtend-a-View is quite welcome.

Because digiscoping requires absolutely stable lens, camera, tripod, etc., it's most commonly done with a remote release so there is absolutely nothing to cause motion blur. Images can be captured this way which are truly impossible to get with conventional lenses and conventional tele adapters. Here's a sample from my Meade ETX-90 and CP990 at about 2500mm. Visit the Digiscoping Forum here (near the bottom of the forums) for more info.

Best regards,

Lin

Old Jun 13, 2003, 7:41 AM   #9

Great picture! For the time being, I don't think I'd be doing that... maybe I'll pick up a 2x lens, but not one that huge.

Jeremy