Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 20, 2006, 3:05 AM   #1

Does photographing in B/W mode produce better B/W prints than shooting in colour and converting to B/W. If not I am not understanding the need for the B/W option on these cameras.

Regs,

Paul
Paul G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2006, 4:53 AM   #2

well it depends, if your are going to just convert to grayscale in post processing or just remove the color by desaturating then you probably won't see a lot of difference between just shooting in b&w. If you're going to take a little more time with some adjustment layers, and channel mixer, you are probably going to get a little better looking b&w. But it all depends on the subject. Shooting in b&w is also a good learning tool, to help you see how different colorsreflect light in b&w since you get instant feed back from your LCD screen. It helps you to see more in b&w when you are looking at a shot. So to answer your question. Sometimes, maybe, not always. If you shoot in RAW you can still even convert your b&w to color in post processing too. A lot depends on your subject. Different colors reflect light in different ways, and some colors reflect light about the same. A red flower and green plant are going to look about the same shade of gray without some post processing, or the use of a filter at image capture.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 6:24 AM   #3

I think it's really just an extra feature they thought of to try and tempt more customers to buy their camera (as less computer savvy people wouldn't necessarily have the skills to convert colour images to black and white on their computer, or even have the software to do so, or even know it's possible).
I'd say if you can do it on the computer later you should, simply on the basis that you can make any colour photo black and white, but if you shoot in black and white you can't add the colour later.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 1:58 PM   #4

MrPogo wrote:
Quote:
I'd say if you can do it on the computer later you should, simply on the basis that you can make any colour photo black and white, but if you shoot in black and white you can't add the colour later.
If you shoot in RAW format you can convert the b&w to color in post processing. If you shoot jpeg, you can't. I shoot a lot of b&w and I shoot mainly in color and convert in post processing. But I say if you are just starting out in b&w, shoot for a while in b&w mode, just to help you see your shots in b&w better. After a while you will be able to visuallize how your shot will turn out better.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote