Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/general-discussion-11/)
-   -   An SLR with VIDEO MODE! (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/general-discussion/104419-slr-video-mode.html)

Kohkane Oct 20, 2006 11:48 PM

is there and SLR that has video mode? I want a camera that can take short films! I want to be able to change my lens too!! the best of both worlds sort to speak. does one exisit? is there one coming out soon??? any news??

If one Does NOT exisit whats the next best thing? is it the Sony Cybershot H5 or the Canon Powershot S3 IS?? can I do better than that??? Help me out!

Nagasaki Oct 21, 2006 7:28 AM

An SLR has a mirror between the lens and the sensor. This divertsthe light into the viewfinder until the shutter is pressed. Olympus have an SLR with an additional sensor to provide a live view on the LCD screen but no SLR has a video mode.

Ken

amazingthailand Oct 21, 2006 10:57 AM

If you really want a camera that can do video, then I would suggest buying one of the many DV camcorders that are available, or, better yet, one of the newer HDV camcorders.

Remember the adage: Jack of all trades, master of none.

Red Royalty Oct 22, 2006 8:00 AM

olympus have brought out a slr with a live preview lcd so u can compose your shots looking at the lcd. I'm sure whithin 10 years an slr will have a pottential to create a video.:cool:

Kohkane Oct 22, 2006 2:47 PM

Hey, thanks for the replies.

Okay perhaps your right. Jack Of all Trades. Master of None.

You suggest one like the Sanyo HD1A you mean? something that has both?

What SLR do you recommend for a beginner? I'm not a photograper. I dont know much about shutter speed and apiture or anything like that. I have to take a refresher course I guess. I DO want to purchase a worthwhile camera how ever. I want to be able to take quality pictures that I'll like and remember and buy a camera that will last for a long time. I think an SLR is the way to go. Unfortunatly I want video too.. just for short little clips.. but maybe I should invest on a camcorder a bit later. Buy two instead of trying to find one with two. Master of none.

Whats a good SLR camera, under 1000 and with a good all around Lens? I was looking at the Sony Alpha 100 the Nikon 80 or 70? or the Canon...UGH! what to choose! what do you guys recommend for a complete beginer. BUT! I pick things up quickly.. so don t be fooled.

your 2 cents are great.

BillDrew Oct 22, 2006 5:23 PM

Unless you are familiar with a film SLR, I'd suggest that you look at one of the shirt-pocket sized digicams first. You will learn a lot about digital photography using it, you will have time to pick out an dSLR, and you will always have a use for alittle camera.

SLRs (digital or film) are large clunky things that you won't always want to take with you. And that doesn't count hauling along a set of lenses, extra batteries, extra memory, ...

VTphotog Oct 22, 2006 8:35 PM

The Sony DSC R1 has video capability, a large, DSLR-type sensor, and a price in your range. I have been hearing that it is discontinued, though. I would consider this for myself, if it only had the ability to switch lenses.

brian

JimC Oct 22, 2006 8:58 PM

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:

The Sony DSC R1 has video capability, a large, DSLR-type sensor, and a price in your range. I have been hearing that it is discontinued, though. I would consider this for myself, if it only had the ability to switch lenses.
There is no video capture mode on the Sony DSC-R1.

It's got a live feed for the EVF and LCD. But, Sony did not implement a movie mode.

VTphotog Oct 22, 2006 9:16 PM

Thanks for the correction. Been reading too many reviews, and mixing things up.

Still would like to see one of these with alpha lens mount, and the HDR image processing of the a100. Maybe a better EVF?

brian

JimC Oct 22, 2006 9:50 PM

Mirrors and mechanical design aside, the biggest issue with the current crop of larger APS-C size sensors is that they're not really designed to use an Electronic Shutter with readout speeds as fast as a movie mode requires. Using a sensor that way also means you could have a heat build up issue, causing higher noise levels for still photos.

The DSC-R1 is an apparent exception, since it does have a live feed for the EVF and LCD. But, Sony did not implement a movie mode. So, there was probably something restricting that feature with the current sensor design (or it could have been because of processing limitations with the supporting chipset design).

I can remember when this model was announced, and I figured that it would be well accepted, since a lot of people have expressed a desire for a live feed type system with DSLR like performance for a long time now. I also assumed that Nikon and Canon would introduce similar models soon thereafter (as they usually do using the same sensor as the latest and greatest Sony "prosumer" model). But, that didn't pan out either.

I think the timing was just a bit off for it, since DSLR price points have dropped so much and a DSLR offers more flexibility from a lens perspective. So, the camera manufacturers have pretty much scrapped newer "Prosumer" designs in favor of low priced DSLR models instead.

I don't know if the inclusion of a movie mode would have made much difference or not. I think we'll probably end up getting the best of both worlds (movie modes, larger sensors, and interchangeable lenses) at some point though.