Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 22, 2006, 2:04 PM   #11

I agree with most of what everyone else is saying.

You really don't need more than 150 dpi. That means that 2 MP is a little more than you need for 8 x 10" prints.

I've taken a lot of pictures with a 2 MP camera and printed them on 8.5 x 11" paper (141 dpi). They came out pretty well. The only real faults were with other aspects of the camera and the phographer, not the megapixels.

Like other people are saying, the biggest problem seems to be when you start cropping things. With one picture, I went and cropped 1600x1200 down to 1344x1008 (only a 16% crop), so now you're down to 119 dpi, which still isn't that bad. The problem is that now it's easier to see the noise from it being a crappy camera, and when I try to smooth things out and sharpen it up a little, it's hard to do without bringing out some jagginess.

To me, high megapixels can be a crutch. It can somewhat make up for problems by giving you more leeway in post processing, but it's no substitute for just having a better camera.

I most people if given the option between a 3 MP version of the world's best CCD vs. a 12 MP version of a middle-of-the-road CCD, they're going with the 3 MP one.

I guess I also see stabilization as a bit of a crutch. There aren't many situations where I'd actually care about it, but it can make up for poor performance in other areas or lack of a tripod.

Tostada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 6:44 AM   #12

Tostada wrote:
Quote:
I agree with most of what everyone else is saying.

You really don't need more than 150 dpi. That means that 2 MP is a little more than you need for 8 x 10" prints.

I've taken a lot of pictures with a 2 MP camera and printed them on 8.5 x 11" paper (141 dpi). They came out pretty well. The only real faults were with other aspects of the camera and the phographer, not the megapixels.

Like other people are saying, the biggest problem seems to be when you start cropping things. With one picture, I went and cropped 1600x1200 down to 1344x1008 (only a 16% crop), so now you're down to 119 dpi, which still isn't that bad. The problem is that now it's easier to see the noise from it being a crappy camera, and when I try to smooth things out and sharpen it up a little, it's hard to do without bringing out some jagginess.

To me, high megapixels can be a crutch. It can somewhat make up for problems by giving you more leeway in post processing, but it's no substitute for just having a better camera.

I most people if given the option between a 3 MP version of the world's best CCD vs. a 12 MP version of a middle-of-the-road CCD, they're going with the 3 MP one.

I guess I also see stabilization as a bit of a crutch. There aren't many situations where I'd actually care about it, but it can make up for poor performance in other areas or lack of a tripod.
All I ask of a camera is for it to perform. My camera excels at 432mm and here, a hand-held, availablelight marco shot of my Canon F1 Booster T Finder: the image being sharp enough to pick out individual grains of dust and otherdetritus.
Attached Images

AlAsaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:21 PM   #13

According to Kodak-Mexico, 2 Megapixeles are enough for a good quality 8x10" print.

http://wwwmx.kodak.com/MX/es/consume.../tamanos.shtml

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 8:19 PM   #14

Not trying to "poop in anybody's mess kit" (an old militay saying, cleaned up a little). Megapixels are over-rated. I have several great 13X19 pictures framed on my wall taken with my old Canon Pro90 IS camera, printed with an Epson 1270 (how's that for last generation?).

My 20D does a little better, but unless one presses the nose against the glass, it's hard to tell the difference between 2.6 and 8.2 megapixels (at least in landscapes).

Good photography wins the day, almost always.

Don't chase the technology. Expend your efforts in learning to be a better photographer.

I gave my old Pro90 to my son, and alas, he's making better photos than I do with my 20D.

Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote