Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 11, 2003, 2:03 AM   #1

Default Shutter lag in a 2 MP digicam?

Is it possible to find a 2 MP digital camera with a decent shutter lag? I've used a Kodak CX4230 and found it nearly impossible to capture a decent candid or action shot because it takes so long to set focus and exposure. I've also tried a Canon Powershot S200 ELPH and was similarly disappointed in the delay.

I like most everything about the CX4230, except the shutter lag (good lens, good zoom, and decent software).

lunytnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2003, 6:32 AM   #2
lg

Yes, it is! The Olympus C-2100 have very little shutter lag when you prefocus by half-pressing the shutter release to lock focus and exposure; frame your shot while keeping the button half-pressed, and then fully depress it to take your shot with minimal shutter lag. Be sure to turn OFF autofocus and redeye reduction, as this will greatly increase your shutter lag time.

This is not an exclusive feature of just this model of camera-- many do offer this function. Some cameras are better than others. The C-2100 isn't instantaneous, but you can learn to closely approximate results achievable with a SLR film camera with practice.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 1:58 PM   #3

Of course you could spend over $1000 and get a dSLR...some of those appear to have no shutter lag, but you've got to know more about setting the exposure controls.

Think about it this way, a fraction of a second of shutter lag on a cheap digital, or a few seconds setting the controls manually.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 1:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
... a fraction of a second of shutter lag on a cheap digital, or a few seconds setting the controls manually.
Granted, some shutter lag is better than setting things manually... I'm definitely just doing the point-n-shoot thing to capture candid shots. I do know about shutter speeds and f-stop and such, but that's just not the purpose for this camera.

It may be a lag of a fraction of a second, but based on a one-one-thousand counting method (purely scientific, of course ) it takes more than a full second to take the picture. The Kodak is real quick (nearly instantaneous) when you pre-focus, as well. But that just doesn't seem very realistic in situations with a moving target.

I think the Kodak is a pretty good value, but this shutter lag thing bugged me so much that I was thinking I'd be willing to pay an extra $100 or go to a 3 MP camera if it would get me into a camera with a pretty short shutter lag. Looking at reviews, so far though, I haven't seen much difference in shutter lag between 2 MP and 3 MP cameras. It's difficult to judge, as well, because most of the reviews are subjective (average, short, long, etc.) or in ones that have measurements, the lag number is blank in several reviews.

I'm trying to keep this in the $200-400 range.

Thanks!
lunytnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 1:49 AM   #5

Canon G2
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 9:14 AM   #6
lg

You should try some other cameras-- a one second shutter lag is definitely on the high end! For comparison, I would estimate the shutter lag on my camera to be less than 1/30 sec (maybe FAR less).
lg is offline   Reply With Quote