Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:12 AM   #1

Not sure if this is possible, can't find anyway of doing it. I have a sanyo xacti c6 and also I have a OTG usb2.0 hard drive. Now I was wondering if there was anyway of setting these two products up, so that I could record using the c6 direct to the hard disk. Without having to copy everything from the sd card to the hard drive, everytime the sd card was full. This would need to be a relatively portable option. I.e no pc. I remember seeing something similiar done on the gadgetshow but using a phone and sending the footage straight to the internet. I have played around and can connect the camera to the hard disk in webcam mode, but I can't control the camera in this mode without having a pc interface.
s96024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:34 PM   #2

I don't think this is possible.

Your C6 can produce a video stream, either through the AV cable (to be hooked up to the TV for viewing) or through the USB (as a webcam). The problem is that your OTG harddrive does not have a video capture card or hardware to save this video signal andcreate digital video files.

Your OTG is basically a dumb external harddrive. The difference is that the "OTG" codes instruct the USB to recognize other devices hooked up to it, search for files and folders inside these devices, and copy the files onto the OTG harddrive.

This only works for files which have already been created and stored, not "live" signals or "on-the-fly" video creation.

The camera is only designed to create the video and writing the video file onto built-in memory cards. I think you need to re-write the firmware (or even change some hardware) to make it write to another location other than the flash card.

There are mobile DIVX recorders (marketed for transferring old VHS tapes into computer digital format) and portable multimedia players/ recorders (like Archos, Mustek) that can record external video signals. You can then use the AV cable to hook up the C6 to one of these devices for recording.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 1:01 PM   #3

Thanks, should have thought about that more.Oh well just have to transfer everytime it fills up. Does anyone know if the 4gb SD cards are compatible with the c6. Also I have noticed there is a weatherproof version out. Is this exactly the same spec as teh c6 just with a protective case. I have spent ages trying to convert my c6 case so it is a bit more protective. I am also trying to somehow mount it to my head. I have come across something called the dog cam (bullet cam) Which connects to the av-in on the digital camera. The c6 does have a cable to connect it but i'm not sure if it would record connected. If anyone has any experience of trying this or wheether they can tell me if it would work, i'd much appreciate it. Thankz
s96024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 1:28 PM   #4

There is a Sanyo forum here where you may find more information. You should look at this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=27&page=6

I have no personal experience but Steve said the C6 is not compatible with any card > 2 GB. In any case, the battery only lasts for 50-ish minutes and you have to change battery before changing a 2 GB card.

The question about whether the C6 can be used as a recording device for external video source has also been asked: answer =NO.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote