Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 12, 2003, 6:08 AM   #1

Default Need more memory Vacation

Hi,
I am currently planning on going on vacation, and I have a 256mb compact flash card. I don't think that this would be enough for a week long vacation (I love taking pictures ) I've looked at prices for 512mb and 1gb compact flash cards, and they all seem to cost an arm and a leg, and buying 2 more 256mb cards doesn't seem like a cost-worthy option neither. I was wondering what are the best options for me, so that I can take more pictures while on vacation?
Thanks in advance for any help.
waverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2003, 6:33 AM   #2

Hi,

You could buy a X's drive with a 20GB HDD.
It will cost more than a 1GB card but it's MUCH more flexible.

Or you could find a PC store who is willing to burn your memory card on a CD, our shop alway's does this if someone asks.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 8:05 AM   #3

The big downside to most of the external harddrive systems seems to be battery life. I haven't read reviews of many of them, but of the ones that I've read almost all seem to suggest that you'll run out of batteries sooner than you'll fill up the device.

That seems kinda silly to me. (Ya, I know. If you charge them in the car, then you can add more the next day. But doesn't it sound strange "Here is this nice storage system which can hold 20, 30, 40G! buy you can only copy 5G before the batteries die." Sounds like a nice thing to bring while camping, except that you'll run out of power.

Also, many of them are quite slow copying the data to the drive. If you really take lots of pictures quickly, it might be better to have 2 decent sized CF cards and that way you can swap them and be copying one to the device while the other is in your camera being used. But if you go that root, read the reviews, they are not all created equal.

The CD Buringing option Frank Doorhof suggests is a good one. If you're really paranoid, you could then mail the CD back home. (In theory) there is less risk of it being damaged while you travel around.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 8:27 AM   #4

I use a cheap old133mhz laptop with 20GbHD and pcmcia card reader (fast). I run just a basic 98SE OS so it's not so slow on the apps, and ACDsee provides my mates the opportunity of a slideshow on site as it were. It can run off 12 volts as well, and can re-purpose pics for sending through a dialup account to friends.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 11:25 AM   #5

Hi,

I use the Xsdrive and battery life is rather good, you can easily get 10 downloads from a 256MB card, and recharching is done in a night, you must be somewhere sometime near a powersource ?

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 12:13 PM   #6
NHL

Same here, I only download to my portable Mindstor @ night back at the hotel or something...

I actually backup my microdrive this way, and you know what people already said about dropping one of those spinning media in the field :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Bottom line is shoot all day with a 1G (microdrive or CF cards) and back up at your convenience @ night, and the MindStor or X-Drive might be even plug in the AC too! :P :P :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 1:14 PM   #7

There are also CD writers that don't require PCs.
(rather than get the a friendly shop to do it)

This gives unlimited storage, and is more fault tolerant.
I'm sure you can still buy a pack of blank CDr's in the remotest parts of the world. (like Wales)

also, I'd rather drop a CD, than a portable hard drive.
and, I'd rather take a CD though the xray machine at the airport, than a portable harddisk.

[ :shock: I've never met anyone who before who take a hard disk camping..]
iodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 2:06 PM   #8

Try this link for 256mb CF for $35 after rebate.

http://www.computers4sure.com/produc...d=873&adid=873
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 2:07 PM   #9

iodine

Hey, I have a relative who live in Wales! Itís not as remote as, say, the amazon... but its close!

I've wondered about the portable, standalone CD burners. Anyone know of any good ones?

Hey, I'm a geekÖ I have to bring *some* computer gear when I camp or I'd go into withdrawal. :lol:

Frank Doorhof

Lets see, 10 downloads of 256MB, = 2 1/2G... Ĺ of what Iíve read. I could shoot that much in a day (in the right places) so that seems reasonable. I've read worse from some other portable hard disks, though.

voxmagna

I've heard others suggest getting an old laptop off ebay for this purpose. Cheaper than a portable hard disk and it comes with a good display (but itís big.) I haven't decided if I like this idea or not, but it does have certain appeal. If I could get one with TV out, that would be even better.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 10:14 PM   #10

Check out:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...isc_steno.html

...No experience with this myself, but when I read Steve's brief review of it, I thought that this would be an ideal vacation storage solution for my own situation.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote