Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 24, 2006, 9:00 PM   #1

I would like to take shots of a valley at night time from on top of one of the peaks that surround it. The valley is filled with houses, retail buildings and such, so there is a lot of light coming from it. There are also radio towerson top of the peak on the other side of the valley. I don't have a dSLR, but I am still tossing around the idea of getting a lower-end one like the K100D. I just want to be absolutely sure ofwhat type and how manylenses I will need.
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2006, 2:04 PM   #2
Super Moderator

This situation will have little to do with the lens as you will be using a tripod so you need to think about how wide you need to go/how far you want to zoom in rather than the amount of light.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 2:12 PM   #3

Mark's advice is right on the money. A tripod is the most important part of the equation for this type of shot. Any DSLR and many digicams can take this type of shot - as long as you have a sturdy tripod (note: I said sturdy - put a 3 lb camera and lens on a cheap $30 tripod and for long exposures liike this you can expect poor results). You don't need to go hog wild and spend $1000 on a tripod and ball head - you can get some decent setups in the $100-$200 range - not perfect but very, very decent.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 2:49 PM   #4

It will of course be much easier to focus a fast lens (autofocus likely will not work at night), but you'll be stopping down to f/8 anyway so its not 'needed'. The tripod, however, is non-negotiable.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:15 PM   #5

I won't have hope for beautiful & breathtaking night shots if I do not have a tripod.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:52 PM   #6

Thanks for the input guys! Yeah, I know a tripod is definately a must have in night shots; thanks for the heads up in any case So, it looks like any lens will do for night time landscape?
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 4:45 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Well you probably would not want a 300mm f2.8 but any zoomwith a wide angle of say 28mm equivalent (approx 17/18mm depending on camera) is a good starting point.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 1:19 AM   #8

And don't use the shutter directly, but use the timer delay function (or a remote) to avoid camera shake by handling the camera
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:57 PM   #9

I tried this on a recent camping trip. Traveling light with a KM 5D I had only a 18-70 f3.5-5.6 lens. I also didn't have a tripod, so I just used a shirt on a rock with the 2 second shutter delay and a 30 second exposure. It's really amazing the amount of light that your camera can see that you can't.
Attached Images

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote