Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 25, 2006, 5:40 AM   #1

US visitors Maxxum 7D Digital SLR Camera Body Only (6.3MP, 3008x2000)

$ 698.00 at YellowBeePhoto.com

or

$ 899.99 at TriStateCamera.com

???

Advice would be very much appreciated.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_.../maxxum7d.html

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:02 AM   #2

Try resellerratings.com
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:27 AM   #3

My parents asked me whether those cameras that I will be buying on line, will be having an international warranty? IfthatdSLR-7DMinolta camera gets spoiled, can I just send it to a SONY service center and have it repaired? (I meant the K.M. 7D that I will be buying on line)
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:37 AM   #4
Administrator

I doubt it.

It's pretty obvious that these are gray market cameras being sold by yellowphoto.com, and I see that they're located in Brooklyn (where all of the better known scam artists do business from, since they seem to be able to get away with it there).

Suggested Reading:

How to Buy a Digital Camera without being Robbed

So, good luck getting it fixed via a store warranty if it ever breaks (if you can even get it at the adveritised price without buying lots of outrageously priced, unwanted extras, or stuff that should have been included with it anyway, without unauthorized shipping and insurance charges showing up on your statement).

I sure wouldn't risk it, even if I knew that they'd actually ship what I ordered. I've seen too many stories about cameras being shipped back to stores with no repair, even after months.

As for TriState, they've had a pretty good reputation for years. But, I have seen some recent complants. From what I've seen posted lately, the model they have is also gray market (not intended for sale in the U.S.).

I saw someone post recently that they ordered a one from them and received an Alpha 7D. That Alpha was only intended for sale in Japan.

If you want to get a camera serviced by a manufacturer, without needing to "jump through hoops", sending back to the country it was intended for sale in to get it serviced by the manufacturer (with possible problems with duties, taxes and tariffs along the way), I'd advise buying a camera that is intended for sale in the country you live in, from an authorized dealer there.

Most reputable dealers were sold out of KM 7Ds months ago.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:42 AM   #5

Yes Sony honors the one year warranty. I had my 5D services a short while ago with no trouble.

If you buy a NEW 7D from a reputable place, and its not gray market (illegitimate import), used, or refurbised. In all those cases you will have to check more carefully what warranty you get if any. Sleezy lowest-price shops dont always tell you its gray market.

tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:21 PM   #6

Alright, thanks JimC and tmoreau.

I think I would not take the risk by going for such deals. I will buyanother camera model that is availablein a photography specialty storewithin my area.

It is also good to let other people know about the dangers.

Regards.

Old Oct 25, 2006, 1:22 PM   #7

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
I think I would not take the risk by going for such deals. I will buyanother camera model that is availablein a photography specialty storewithin my area.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Don't misunderstand - there are some very reputable retailers that sell USA product on-line. You just have to choose carefully and make sure the camera advertised states specifically it's a USA camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Outfits like B&H (sells both US and grey market but clearly states which is which), Buydig.com, Butterflyphoto.com, Adorama and others are all very reputable.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"They may not have the Maxxum 7d anymore but if you're considering another camera don't toss out the idea of dealing with one or more of the more reputable online retailers.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I buy a lot of my equipment from B&H - they're top notch, extremely reputable and carry an enormous inventory (they have an actual store that takes up an entire city block in new york city). Their prices aren't always the absolute lowest but they are always competitive. Typically one of the above mentioned vendors will be within $10 of the best legit price offered and these guys are all very well respected.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I would caution though - most online vendors make their profits on accessories so don't fall for their 'package' offers where they bundle shoddy accessories with what you really want. Shop for your accessories separately.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote