Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 12, 2003, 6:52 PM   #1

Default Help on decision

Hi everyone this is my first post to this forum.

I have decided to finally buy me a digital camera. But I have some demands on the camera so I thought if someone can assist me on them.

1. The camera should be upgradeable by firmware.
2. It must exist an underwater housing for it.
4. At least 4 megapixels.
5. Should not cost over $1000.

I hope some or someone can help me out here finding a suitable camera for me.

Thanks!
jnhl74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2003, 8:54 PM   #2

canon s400, s45, s50 ones i have looked at recently, that have the underwater housing. although the underwater kit is not cheap.

Anyone know about getting a lightweight rain/dust case/hood, for the s50?
or does everyone just use an umbrella?
iodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 10:38 PM   #3

Default Re: Help on decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnhl74
1. The camera should be upgradeable by firmware.
Although I hate to say it, you'll have to stay away from the Olympus brand as they are very funny about firmware...my question to an Oly rep in a chat:

"Q: Why can't we do firmware upgrades on our cameras; I've done them on computers, CDRs, modems, PDAs, and when going to a Canon page and clicking on a camera link, a window popped up saying there was a firmware upgrade available for free and where I can download it...why not Olympus?"

"A: We feel the opportunity for an error while upgrading firmware is too great and we would prefer the camera be serviced by the Olympus repair dept. This way we can control the environment in which a camera is upgraded and assure that it gets done right without harm to the camera." - William Carp, Technical Representative with Olympus America.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 11:31 PM   #4

I agree with Oly, i'd prefer them to do it.

To the original post .. what else do you need? REAL compact/big/no lag?? What else matey?
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2003, 1:18 AM   #5

it IS possible to implement firmware in such a way that it's resettable, should the very worst happen.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 6:48 AM   #6

Hi again. Thanks for the answers.

A couple of days ago I was very close to buy me an Olympus C-5050 but as you describe Olympus doesnít support us with new firmware upgrade. Even though itís not always necessary I think itís an important option today with all new technology. So I didnít buy it.

The size of the camera should not be too large. I donít want anything like the Sony Cybershot DSC-F717 even tough it seems to be a fantastic camera. The size of the Olympus C-5050 or the Canon Powershot G5 cameras looks good, maybe something like that or smaller.

Other thing I have thought about is that the camera should be manufactured by a native camera company. I donít think that Philips, Samsung or Casio and more are companies that I link together with cameras.

What memory the camera can handle is a little important. I like Compact Flash because of the Microdrive that exists for it. Large memory for an affordable cost and I already have a 512 MB Sandisk Compact Flash memory which I use for my laptop. But itís not a demand for the camera.

Thanks
jnhl74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2003, 11:54 AM   #7

not sure that the g5 has an underwater housing.?
probably will cost quite a bit
the s50 does have one, and is mostly the internal spec of the g5.

depends if you want hotshoe, swivel lcd, more mattery capacity, and the bigger, faster lens of the g5.