Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:05 AM   #1

Just a heads-up to those considering what on-line print service to use. I've been a user of Winkflash for about 2 years and did so primarily because of price. Well, I've come to the conclusion you get what you pay for.

Over the past year they've messed up 4 of my print orders (about 30% of my orders). Most frequently the problem is they send blank prints. But they've also sent me the wrong prints too.

THis last time was the last straw. they messed up the order- half the photos were blank again so I sent an email requesting they send reprints. After 2 days there was no response back so I called - long distance because they don't have a toll free number.

I was told they would credit my account for the 10 photos and that I needed to place another order for the 10 photos they screwed up and I would have to pay the shipping. Sure, it's only 99 cents but it's the principle. They screwed up my photos. When I spoke to a supervisor she explained they didn't know why it happens and don't know if it was files corrupted on upload (even though you can view them online). She also explained it would take too much time for one of their techs to check the files so I should just re-upload them and I should place another order and I should pay for the shipping.

It's unfortunate, but again you get what you pay for. I've ordered hundreds, if not thousands of prints from them but the QC is just too poor and customer service too unresponsive. Just something to consider if you're looking for an on-line vendor.

In comparison, my professional sales go through EZPRINTS and I've never had an incorrect order from them. They cost a little more but at least they're reliable.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:33 PM   #2

We've all had issues with one supplier or another, whether gear or prints, from time to time. While I've never used the service you mention I switched fromone on-line printer that gave me very poor quality on twojobs (they shall remain nameless as I may have been an isolated case) to 1)MPIX (my first choice) and 2) Shutterfly. The former gives me IMO the best print quality, especially skin tones. Shutterfly is a very close second, and I use them for general purpose prints (my pro stuff goes to MPIX) as their 4 x 6's are less expensive (other sizes run about equal). Both services have alwaysshipped quickly and reliably.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:12 PM   #3

Yep,

I also checked with the BBB and winkflash has an unsatisfactory rating - they have refused to respond to several complaints through the BBB. They did resolve some but on others they refused to respond to.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:31 PM   #4

Interesting. I've used WHCC for my professional prints but for family snap shots and just sheer bulk prints I've used winflash. The quality cannot compete with WHCC but for 12 cents a 4x6 it isn't bad. I have printed a 24x36 panorama (well two panoramas within the 24x36 print). The first one I recieved had scuffs on it. They resent the order without charging me for the print or shipping. I did however have to return the damaged print and this cost me $5.00.

I am about to get about a 100 or so, prints done from a recent vacation. I will probably use my wife to sign up to get the free 50 prints promotion they have. But if I start experiencing problems with them I might have to try a different lab. Although, in all honesty I might defeault back to WHCC for 24 cents a print. Minimial order is $12 so I could get 50 prints for $12 bucks including shipping. WHCC also prints on Kodak Professional Endura papers (Glossy, Lustre, Metallic) instead of the flimsy fuji crystal archive paper.
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote