Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 13, 2003, 4:10 PM   #1

Default Cold weather

Hi,
I've just moved to northen Norway ( below the polar circle ) and I was wondering if they are any issues when it comes to cold weather and cameras. The temperature can come down to minus 10-15 Celsuis degrees. As I live on the coast, there is also a lot of humidity.
Can such weather damage a digicam or make it temporarily malfunction ?
Are there digicams which are more protected against the cold than others ?

thanks in advance for answering me.
Fred (no) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2003, 9:13 PM   #2

Yes, cold weather and humidity can be a problem. You'll probably find some operating temperature ranges in your camera specifications. In low temps keep it inside your coat as much as possible. When bringing the camera from low temps to high temps, you might want to put it in a plastic bag first to guard against condensation.

Batteries can have a much shorter use time in very cold temps. Allow for that until you find out how much it affects you.
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2003, 11:54 PM   #3

plastic bits and rubber seals can be unreliable in extreme cold,
Proper altitude expeditions tend to have specially modified camera gear.

It's usually quite a dry cold in norway, isn't it? that might be bearable.

at least you get to use the 'snow' mode, on the camera.

when your fingers freeze to the camera then it's time to go indoors
iodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 7:45 PM   #4

Batteries will be the major issue in terms of camera choice - all batteries have less capacity at low temperatures, but the disposable Lithium AAs seem to be the best in the cold so pick a camera that uses AA batteries.

Condensation is the major use issue with a camera - make sure the camera goes into a plastic bag before it is brought indoors and that is stays in the bag until it is warm.

All cameras (that I know of) will say that 0C is the lowest operating temp. Pretty much all of them will work just fine down to something like -10F (-23C). The LCD starts going funny at temps much lower than that so look for a camera that has a simple viewfinder if you are going to try it colder than that.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 9:15 PM   #5

Ok, this might be a bit weird, but I think it would work.

If you used an external battery pack, you could put that inside your cloths (against your belly) so that it would keep warm. then you'd have to have a long enough cable to run to the camera. That would keep the battery at a reasonable operating temperature, while still powering your camera. The problem I see is how do you run the cable. You want your cloths very closed up to keep the cold out, so running the cable might allow some cold in.

Just a thought...

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 9:31 PM   #6

What i don't get, is how do you take photos in the cold?? I am from OZ but spent last winter in Toronto Canada and I tell you, i was rugged up like the michelin man to go out and try my new digicam in -8 degree weather but i can't press the buttons on my camera with gloves on. So i took them off ... in about 6 minutes my hands went red and puffy and i couldn't feel them ... so i figured i better go inside. Lucky i did because i was already getting frost bite.

How the heck do those from the northern hemisphere get around this???
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 10:48 PM   #7

Alfisti,
Ha ha, - 8 C and you complain already :mrgreen:
Toronto is pretty “warm” compared to where I live , in winter, -15 to –20 is not rare .
Taking about batteries … yeah, even your car battery , at –30 (quite rare in Montreal) your car starter would go yak yak … tik … and noting :shock: .
You now understand why they invent 10w30 or even 5W30 oil :mrgreen:
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 12:58 AM   #8

pICTURE IT .... naive aussie is OFF TO THE GYM AND I AM THINKING ... "NAH, NO LONG PANTS ... I WILL RUN THERE IN SHORTS, CAN'T BE BOTHERED (not yelling caps) getting changed."

Big mistake. I learn't quickly.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 8:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
What i don't get, is how do you take photos in the cold?? I am from OZ but spent last winter in Toronto Canada and I tell you, i was rugged up like the michelin man to go out and try my new digicam in -8 degree weather but i can't press the buttons on my camera with gloves on. So i took them off ... in about 6 minutes my hands went red and puffy and i couldn't feel them ... so i figured i better go inside. Lucky i did because i was already getting frost bite.

How the heck do those from the northern hemisphere get around this???
Bulky mittens (not gloves!!) with a handwarmers in them does the trick. Look in the sporting goods shops for the iron/sulfer packs that give off heat as the iron powder rapidly "rusts".
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 2:57 AM   #10

i was wonderin that can i take my canon a70 to an altitude of 4500mts . coz i regularly go to the himalayaz , and i espicially wanted a camera which could be taken to high altitudes . will the canon a70 work or should i go for some other camera
aman is offline   Reply With Quote