Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 3, 2006, 12:47 PM   #1

Hmmm,sorry if I confused anyone, the A520 doesn't have a focus ring. My point is that I now see how advantageous having a focus ring would be. On my A520, the way you manually set the focus is to press the macro button twice, then a small square appears on the screen which displays a zoomed in view of what the camera sees.You only have this to use to focus. To make matters worse, you make your adjustments by pressing a button.

All in all, I think its great thata camera at this price pointdoes in factprovide you with the ability to manually adjust the focus. But, again, my point being that I see the beauty in the manual focus ring now
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2006, 10:35 PM   #2

I nowreally see why the manual focus ring is so critical. I have been playing around with my Canon A520 and I am trying to take some fun close-up shots of our Beagle, but the manual focus mode is very difficult when your subject is constantly moving. I basically have to set it to a specific focus setting and then move the camera itself until I get it where it needs to be to get the shot I want.
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 11:34 PM   #3

I don't know if this is still a trend in pont-and-shoots, but most of them have electronic switches to change focus... not a ring.

In the past, I believe a Minolta or two had a true analog focusing ring and for some applications that was exactly what you needed.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote