Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 14, 2003, 3:37 PM   #1

Default getting prints from the phote shop (the one down the road)

When I get my photoes printed they come out paler than they are on my camera and on my computer. The person in the photoshop said that I need to adjust something before I send them in via e-mail. What is it I need to do?
Soundengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2003, 7:20 PM   #2

The first thing you have to understand is that monitors and printers use different colour theories...monitors is additive (red, green, & blue light make white) while printers are subtractive (cyan, magenta, & yellow pigments make black). You'll never get 100%...you can use colour profiles of your monitor and printer for your photo program to try and have the correct settings.

One thing you can do is get a picture of a set of colour bars from the net, and have it printed...now adjust your monitor to what you see in the print.

You didn't say what your monitor is, but if it's LCD (like your camera) it will be too vivid...the serious photo editors will use CRT, or have a very expensive LCD that's specially adjusted...most cheap LCDs are too vivid and bright.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 2:34 AM   #3

wow, what a great idea! I will find a colour bar and adjust via that.
Soundengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 10:57 AM   #4

Because your Fujicam should be pretty good, you may not know this, but if you put digipics into the shop which have been edited on your pc, their system knows this and prints as received.

First try should be pics straight off the cam, no post editing or crop, just allow a bit more top and bottom when framing. When the prints come back they will have been 'auto tweaked' and should be consistent in exposure/contrast look. Do you like them?

OK now put the cam originals on your pc system with the prints alongside. Your laptop system is definitely no good for photo work with 256 colours. Plug in a decent monitor and set the graphics card to do 24 or 32 bit colour. If it won't, use a desktop pc. If you're not seeing roughly similar colours/brighness/contrast on the monitor.

Colour bars are pretty useless as they are only representative of saturated (strong) colours - it's the subtle skin colours that are most critical, so aim to get these looking right and other colours will look better, get the brightnes and contrast on your monitor right first.

As Mike_Peat says, colour profiles are the way forward, but for now concentrate on getting closer than you are, by using a newish tube monitor with Brightnes/contrast set up, and room light not to bright.

Check the EXIF data on your shots to make sure the camera is exposing correctly as well.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote