Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:47 AM   #11

JimC wrote:
Quote:
A lot of film cameras used a dial for shutter speed. Having it another way is a relatively new invention. We didn't always have viewfinders with electronic displays and LCD panels. lol

I've got a Nikon body that I still use from time to time that has a separate dial for shutter speed. It's not even that old (introduced in the 80's). It's got Autoexposure, too (one of the positions on the dial). The speed settings are written from the middle outward to take up less space on the dial.

It's also got a top dial for aperture. Earlier Nikon bodies required you to use the aperture ring on the lens.

A Nikon body I'm looking at right now has one stop increments for shutter speed (Bulb, 1 second, 1/2 second, 1/4 second, 1/8 second, 1/15 second, etc. through 1/2000 second). You'll see the available settings vary between cameras.

You'd need to look at the photos from the Panasonic/Leica models to see what options you have available. It varies by camera model. My oldest serious camera is an old Canon Rangefinder that I started using many years ago. I'd have to dig it out of a closet to see what it's options are. It probably didn't have shutter speeds anywhere near that fast (1/2000 second is screaming). lol
I thought about what i'd said after i made my post. Then I remember seeing all those beastly large older used film cameras behind the glass at the local camera shop, and i do remember seeing dials with shutter settings - that is just insane! but i could see how it would be quickly utilized as well. i'm glad my dslr isn't that big to lug around! (although i'm already thinking about the k10d, which is no compact!)
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:46 AM   #12
Administrator

milrodpxpx wrote:
Quote:
tThen I remember seeing all those beastly large older used film cameras behind the glass at the local camera shop, and i do remember seeing dials with shutter settings - that is just insane!
They're not all "beastly and larger". :-)

You have larger and smaller film cameras, just like you have larger and smaller DSLR models. The Pentax models are smaller than most DSLRs.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:35 PM   #13

Quote:

The Pentax models are smaller than most DSLRs.

I don't think that applies to the upcoming K10D. (It is also one of the heaviest $1000 dSLR cameras around!) :GSpec wise.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:23 PM   #14

i know they're not all beasts, but some of those nikons, holy cow!

this is how i plan to fund my k10d purchase: go to sears on november 17th and buy a playstation3 (because who would think to line-up at sears for a playstation? you think - best buy, circuit city, walmart, target, etc.). if i get it, it will be on ebay and i should be able to turn close to a grand profit from it (currently people are selling pre-orders for 1200 to 1400) - once people see just how few sony actually have for purchase (because they wont have anywhere near enough for demand!) the ebay prices will sky rocket, thus funding my k10d purchase!
Old Nov 8, 2006, 5:06 PM   #15
Administrator

milrodpxpx wrote:
Quote:
this is how i plan to fund my k10d purchase: go to sears on november 17th and buy a playstation3 (because who would think to line-up at sears for a playstation?
I can see it now.... thousands of people using search engines to find vendors selling this new product find this forum post and show up at Sears. :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 8:04 AM   #16

JimC wrote:
Quote:
milrodpxpx wrote:
Quote:
this is how i plan to fund my k10d purchase: go to sears on november 17th and buy a playstation3 (because who would think to line-up at sears for a playstation?
I can see it now.... thousands of people using search engines to find vendors selling this new product find this forum post and show up at Sears. :-)
my worst nightmare! as long as they dont work by the mall of america, i'm fine :lol:
Old Nov 9, 2006, 8:32 AM   #17

They'll all be heading for that exact one now!:G
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 9:25 AM   #18

i know its a long shot, but i've read of alot of people getting an xbox360 last year in that exact fashion - walk into sears when it opens, no lines, pick one up. there aren't alot of work buildings around the mall of america - it is by the airport. so i'm hoping that enough people DONT think to go anywhere obscure, such as sears. if there's none there, oh well, but the potential to clear a grand is worth 20 minutes to run over and see if there are any there!