Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 15, 2003, 9:04 AM   #1

Default New Camera Purchase; $800 Budget

Any opinions welcome on helping me select a new digital camera!

I am upgrading from a Nikon Coolpix 4500, have a maximum of $800.00 to spend, and will primarily be photographing displays my company produces and enlarging them to about 12" x 18" for presentations. I am strongly considering the Sony DSC-F717 as I have had the chance to borrow one of these a few times and am very impressed.

Any thoughts or suggestion........?
boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2003, 1:15 PM   #2

I guess everyone is either to shy to answer or moreso sick of being asked for a recommendation.

Guess I'll go with the Sony DSC-F717.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 2:23 PM   #3

Four hours is not enough time for people to answer...this isn't pizza, you don't get an answer in 30 minutes or less. You have to wait for the right person to read this message that can reply to it. In North America today's a holiday (Father's Day), and maybe the right people are out honouring it.

Sorry, but when you ask for help and then complain that you haven't gotten a reply a short time later...you have to remember the people here are volunteers...many don't sign on until later in the evening. Also it's the weekend.

When I ask a question in any forum, I give it a week before giving up.

Maybe you should also post your question in the Sony forum, see what people think about that particular camera since it is a Sony.

Personally though, Sony is a four letter word...would never buy anything with the Sony brand on it.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 3:30 PM   #4

Default I'll Answer

I have a 717 and enjoy it. I also have had many other Sony products and found them to be excellent quality. They are such a large company it has sometimess been difficult to get the right person to talk to but other than that the support is also good.

I have two ways of using the 717. One is with a cheap and waist high tripod that I leave folded and attached to the camera. The entire camera and tripod then is easy to carry. I can then either hand hold the camera and tripod together or extend the tripod to waist high and rotate the veiwer. Since this is really shaky I use a Sony remote to release the sutter. In my opinion this would also give you an very good point of view for display work. The battery life is also so good that I can take all the time I want in either examining my shot or showning off a slide show...etc,

I will warn you a little tho, that the Sony wide/A and Telephoto lens are very heavy and a light duty tripod will not do the job for you. The quality of these lens are worth the price, however.

Good luck
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 4:19 PM   #5

Geez Mike PEAT......lighten up dude, drink an ale and relax you hoser! The queen of England must have you by the nut sack with her fingernails, either that or you think Bush is going to declare Canada has W.O.M.D. any day now.........kick back and get off the "forum time-frame" pedestal from time to time.

Thanks normc, I appreciate the info.

Think I'm going with the Sony......can't find a Canadian digiCam product, or any Canadian product for that matter, worth a damn!

Boulder
Old Jun 15, 2003, 7:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Personally though, Sony is a four letter word...would never buy anything with the Sony brand on it.
Apart from the memory issue, why?
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 2:38 AM   #7

Well, where do I start, I think first and foremost is if they can't make a vhs tape that works, how can they make a digital camera or a computer for that matter. Or rather, if they can't slap their name and add a 5000% profit margin on a working vhs tape, then how can I expect them to slap their name on a digital camera that works, or maybe the sony tapes i bought needed an overpriced add-on to make it possible rewind them after being recorded on without having to open them up and manually start to rewind. If not that, then it could be bitterness over betamax (lol). All in all, i find sony products over priced, over hyped and with too many features that are add-ons. Furthermore, I don't like the way they do business. I seem to recall the electronic entertainment department of sony chastising microsoft for using a top of the line video card in their console instead of just integrating a lower quality one to save money. I don't know about you, but I do not buy from companies that will publically admit to using inferior parts in order to widen their profit margin. Just remember what Mr. Keller from dcresource.com said in his sony p-72 review:
Quote:
they're not that easy to find. Being the kind folks that they are, Sony would be happy to sell you some, of course (hope you caught the sarcasm there).
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 6:21 AM   #8

Default OK

Sounds as if you have some very good reasons for your thinking. I am glad I did not have those experiences.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 5:37 PM   #9

Olympus C-5050, plus additional memory, batteries, and/or lenses, all for under $800. You can get the camera itself for under $600, including shipping.
ruzicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 7:35 PM   #10

Interesting, i refuse to buy Sony too ....... that memory stick bothers me and they make CD players not cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark50
Well, where do I start, I think first and foremost is if they can't make a vhs tape that works, how can they make a digital camera or a computer for that matter. Or rather, if they can't slap their name and add a 5000% profit margin on a working vhs tape, then how can I expect them to slap their name on a digital camera that works, or maybe the sony tapes i bought needed an overpriced add-on to make it possible rewind them after being recorded on without having to open them up and manually start to rewind. If not that, then it could be bitterness over betamax (lol). All in all, i find sony products over priced, over hyped and with too many features that are add-ons. Furthermore, I don't like the way they do business. I seem to recall the electronic entertainment department of sony chastising microsoft for using a top of the line video card in their console instead of just integrating a lower quality one to save money. I don't know about you, but I do not buy from companies that will publically admit to using inferior parts in order to widen their profit margin. Just remember what Mr. Keller from dcresource.com said in his sony p-72 review:
Quote:
they're not that easy to find. Being the kind folks that they are, Sony would be happy to sell you some, of course (hope you caught the sarcasm there).
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote