Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:17 PM   #1

I have finally decided (i think), on the panasonic dmc-tz1, but the black version, not the silver.

I have seen it online for around 220 dollars, not including shipping. The warranties I have seen do not seem to cover my dropping it, etc.

If I buy the camera from Wolfe Camera, I can get a 1 year warranty for 50 bucks that will replace it if I drop it, etc. It is 98 bucks for 2 years.

The camera comes with a 1 year factory warranty, but I don't think that covers if I drop it.

Is a warranty a good idea fora digital camera? Has anyone ever used one? Is there a better place to get a warranty from?
ilovetotravel29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:33 PM   #2

Insurance is like gambling...you are paying them a bet that you will drop it & they are betting that you won't. It's like Life Insurance.......they bet you'll live & you're betting you'll die. I think it's the biggest man-made racket in the world (plus they make more if they sell it to you...& they ALWAYS contest the claim)!
Old Nov 11, 2006, 12:45 AM   #3

I agree with Kalypso.

That camera is worth maybe $250. In a year it wil be worth under $200. In 2 years it might be worth $150. Paying $50 a year to insure it doesn't make sense. Save the $50 for this year, and the $50 for next year, and 2 years from now, at the start of the third year, you can add another $50 and have enough to buy a brand new one (at what would likely be the price then for that level of technology).

In general, it only pays to insure what you can't afford to lose. If something is worth a substantial part of everything you own, you then need to manage the risk. For many people, their home is worth more than their net worth. You have to insure that. Likewise health insurance that covers serious illness or injury. Or liability insurance on an automobile, given the amount of damage you might do in an accident. Or, if you have a family that depends on you for thier support, life insurance to protect them in the event something happened to you.

But losing a camera is not a catastrophic loss. You can manage that risk better yourself, by saving that money, and being careful with the camera.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 7:42 AM   #4

I'm not sure about elsewhere but loss/theft of my camera is covered under my homeowner's policy and damage is covered under a valuable personal articles rider. The latter is only a few dollars a year.

Extended warranties are a racket as pointed out by other posters. They are provided by third parties and you either get static when you make a claim, the repair work isn't done by the manufacturer or they are just out of business when you need them.

Check your credit card policies. My Visa card will double the warranty if the camera was purchased using that card.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 8:33 AM   #5

I have yet to buy an extended warrantyon anything that I have bought, I agree that it is a racket. Even though some things are quite expensive like lap tops and DSLR cameras, most people up grade before any extended warranty comes into effect. On the other hand I do have insurance on my camera equipment, but I use it for business and have several thousand dollars worth of equipment. I have a business policy which is a little more expensive than a rider on your homeowners policy, but since I do get paid for some of my work I have to have it. Having said all that, If I only had one small $300 point and shoot camera, I doubt that I would even get any special rider on my homeowners policy for that.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 1:31 PM   #6

i think you may find if u drop it and break it they wont pay out, they may say the will but when it comes to it they will argue and point out its not a defect in the camera, and most things droped will break.

i allways use my strap, if not round my neck its wrapped around my wrist so it cant go nowhere.

had a run in with a UK phone company (o2) as the screen broke on my sons phone, was told it would be covered under warrnaty, it got sent away and i got a call saying........ooops its not covered as screen is broken, but we can mend it for £150, (more than cost of phone) got it sent back unrepaired and got a screen off ebay for £25.........so much for warranties ! and the criminal rip off of repair costs via a big company
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 1:41 PM   #7

I am stuck on the issue of the warranty. If I get the warranty from wolfe camera, then it covers it being dropped---as does circuit city, but the cost of the camera goes up. Also, that darn proprietary battery is bugging me...only because I dont want to always have to remember to charge the battery, and it will be an extra 30 bucks at least to buy an additional one.

I can get the panasonic dmc-lz5 for about 260 including warranty, and the dmc tz1 for about 350 when i include the warranty

or, i can go it alone without a warranty and buy the tz1 online for 230 + 30 for battery, for about 260

ugh!!!

maybe i can find some coupons for wolfe camera....?
ilovetotravel29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 3:46 PM   #8

Can't understand why you'd want to spend $100 to protect (?) a $200 camera. It comes with a one year warranty...after the year is up, sell it on ebay for $100, and buy yourself a new $200 camera. You'll spend the same amount of money, but you'll have a brand new camera to play with next year.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:52 PM   #9

Spare battery is mandatory on a digital camera and of more use than the extended warranty.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:24 PM   #10

Bob Nichol wrote:
Quote:
Spare battery is mandatory on a digital camera and of more use than the extended warranty.
Plus, you don't have to buy the manufacturers battery...Lenmar, Digi-Power & others make perfectly compatible batteries for much less money. Try: http://www.thomas-distributing.com/index.htm