Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 12, 2006, 2:42 PM   #1

:?Kind of strange that I have to ask this question on this forum!

I can no longer use the forums on dpreview.com. I hadn't logged on for close to a year and then my password didn't work. I asked to have my password emailed to me but it never came. I tried multiple times to no avail. I tried applying for a new user ID but once again no response. I then turned offpersonal spam filteringon my ISP and tried all the above again. No response. Lastly I emailed both dpreview.com and my ISP in regards to their spam and ISP blocking. Still no response from either.
(although I did get an auto form letter from my ISP saying they'd look into it.)

Any suggestions my fellow photo lovers?

Mark
mb571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2006, 3:22 PM   #2

Threeitems. First, clear all your cookies and clear all your internet temp files. That usually works (but you will have to re-logon and re-input any usernames and passwords to each site you may have saved such things for).Right click IExplorer, choose properties, then Delete Cookies and Delete Files.

Second, did you break the rules and overstep "bounds"? While unlikely at dpreview where discussions can get heated, the administrator can block certain MAC/IPs they feel are disregarding rules.

Third, I have noticed that my ISP (Charter) occasionally cannot log onto certain innocuous sites (say Samsclub, WalMart, Kmart). Some kind of local problems ... I contact them, they claim it is not their problem, and two or three days later I can once again log onto the sites. Strange!

The first tip above usually works, however!

hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 3:48 PM   #3

I tried clearing cookies and temp files before logging in. No change as expected. It appears as though my user id or password has lapsed. It comes back "Invalid password".
In regards to your second idea,I don't believe I've broken any rules or even ruffled any feathers.
I have even tried signing upas anew userand gave an email address on a different server (I am the webmaster for our Little League website and have mail there.)

Mark
Old Nov 12, 2006, 4:18 PM   #4
Administrator

Your login id there is likely the e-mail address you used when joining. It's usually not the same as the member name displayed.

The password is probably case sensitive, too.

Depending on the software, multiple login attempts with an invalid password may also disable the account. I don't know how their software works.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 4:21 PM   #5

Well, if you've tried two different computers, and especially tried to sign up as a different user with different email address on a different computer (not on the same network), what is in common? The ISP?

When I've encountered it here at home, ultimately it is the ISP ... because at work in my computer lab (where I can switch between two ISPs ... providing backup for the college), it will work on the non-Charter one until they get their act together and fix it.

By the way, dpreview works just fine here ... just checked to make sure. If you do find out the problem, let me know ... it would be most useful!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 5:09 PM   #6

It actually was two different ISP's that I tried. Our LL website is hosted by a different company than my home setup. I used my baseball address to try get a password sent to me. I tried again this morning and it always says "New Password Sent" but I never receive it. It could be both ISP's. I can help but feeling that dpreview's site is part of the problem as I do other different types of forums withno problems.

Mark