Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 13, 2006, 6:42 PM   #1

Sorry for the sensationalism on all Caps, but this has become my bigest problem in getting all my Camera equipment!

Gear: Canon S3 IS are equivalent size, possibly bigger.
LinsMate 58mm adapter
2, 58mm filters and holders.
Lens Hood, Flower type
AcuManager 20 Charger
2, 4packs Eneloop batteries (AA).
Sony VCL-DH1758 Tele converter.

I want as light a bag as possible while being reasonble on the protection!!

The small important stuff like, lens cloths, lens pen, Memory disks.

I would like a little growth in the bag, butnot much! If I need more it will be time to step up to another system DSLR.

Above all, I want to be able to get the camera out to shoot as fast as posible from a secured bag, I think you understand!

Wide open to suggestions from guys who have been there, seen it, and done it!!
Changeling

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2006, 7:31 PM   #2

I've had more bags that I will admit too. :blah: I no longer want to be able to carry everything at once - I don't use everything every time I go out, so I have a small bag to carry what I think I will need today. I also have a fanny pack for hiking. And a pelican that will hold almost everything - I use that in a kayak, or flying. I also have a large backpack that I thought I would use hiking, but I have trouble standing when it's fully packed :homey: and will probably sell that one. All these packs have been bought over the years.

My suggestion would be to buy a Pelican just small enough to be allowed as carry-on on a plane to store most/all your gear. Then get something small enough to carry what you will need on any particular outing without breaking your back. And maybe a drybag or two if you will be in wet conditions.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:50 PM   #3

I'm with Surfnron. I have a smaller bag that fits just my camera and has a front pouch that holds a spare battery and a flash. This bag is a Lowepro Toploader 70AW.

I also have a backpack type bag which I use when I travel to transport my equipment from A to B. But it is way too heavy and cumbersome to take when I go out on a day's shoot. This is a Lowepro mini-Trecker.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:44 PM   #4

I'll probably get a bag that can be worn on the front with easy access(like a slingbag or waistpack).

pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:15 PM   #5

Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW or 200 AW (http://www.lowepro.com)

I have FZ30, TCon 17 tele converter lens, Wideangle converter lens, Hoya closeup set, CPL filter, ND filter, UV filter, external Flash, Remote shutter release,Battery charger, one extra battery, extra Memory cards, small mini tripod, Lens hood and I use Slingshot 100 AW.

You canrotate the bagfrom back to front very quickly and easily. You can easily access camera and lenses without removing the bag.

It has plenty of space for the zoom camera like FZ30, S3IS ... But if you wish to step up to the DSLR, lowepro slingshot 200 AW would be better choice.
chwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 2:11 PM   #6

Surfnron. I've been thinking about what you said and it makes a lot of sense!
I'm not familiar with the Pelican brand, is it good and reasonably priced?

I just receifed a Tamrac catalog, they have a small sling shot type that looks very interesting.
I like the idea (yours) of getting a small bag just for the camera and batteries for short walks, etc.

Whats your opinion on Tamrac vs Lowepro ??

Changeling

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:56 PM   #7

Changeling, I can't comment on the Tamrac vs. Lowepro comparison - I have 2 Lowepros. The Pelican website is:

http://www.pelican.com/

B&H has good prices on them, and is very customer oriented.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote