Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 16, 2003, 9:54 PM   #1

Default Best Camera Software????

Out of all the companies that hand out software with cameras, which company has the best? Right now, I am debating either Kodak or ACDsee,
Is the Canon one any good? zoomBrowser i think its called? any opinions?
faibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2003, 10:44 PM   #2

zoombrowser is not very good. It gets the job done, but I find it interface rather clunky and unintuitive.

What are you looking to do with the software? Just because I like something doesn't mean that you will or the feature that I hate might make no difference to you. Give us more info!
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 10:52 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply
I would love something to download the pics, and remove then from the CAM at the same time. Fix red eye, adjust color and what not.
The best software I found so far was Adobe PhotoDeluxe, but it doesnt save as JPEG, only Adobe file types. I heard Kodak software is the best, what do you use? I hate zoombrowser
Old Jun 16, 2003, 11:25 PM   #4

I applaud your judgement... ZoomBrowser is awful . I use BreezeBrowser and a card reader. I use BreezeBrowser to view the pictures on the card then move or copy them to a "scratch" folder on my hard drive. I use BB to batch convert the RAW files to TIFFs or JPGs. Ones that need a white balance, saturation or sharpness tweak get it with BB.

For redeye, cropping or other "fixing" I use Photoshop Elements. I save the Canon RAW files in a separate folder and the converted files in separate folders. I organize into "Events", "People", "Places" and "Things" folders.

It's easy to find pictures, and the software is pretty cheap. You can get Elements for about $30 after rebates and BreezeBrowser for around $45.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 11:51 PM   #5

is breezebrowser similar to zoombrowser? i sure hope not. I really likephoto deluxe tho. its not the best digi cam software tho when it comes to saving. i guess it works.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 12:22 AM   #6

You can download a copy of BreezeBrowser at www.breezesys.com and try it. The trial copy is complete but is limited to twelve pictures at a time.

BreezeBrowser doesn't use a database like ZoomBrowser.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 8:47 AM   #7

You could try using irfanview, which is completely and utterly free. Just cost you the time of a download. Its at:
www.irfanview.com

It won't "download" the pictures, unless you use a card reader (and then any can, because the card reader makes your memory card look like a hard disk.) But it can adjust colors, it might be able to fix red-eye (I haven't needed it) and it can sharpen, crop read and write many file formats (jpg, tif, gif and many more.)

I have heard good things about BreezeBrowser, and I use photoshop elements now. When I finally get more memory and switch to shooting RAW, I'll be trying out BreezeBrowser. I found a few things which I couldn't do (or just couldn't find) in irfanview which were easier in photoshop.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 2:01 PM   #8

Hey fellow Torontonian...

I never bothered with the software that came with the camera...I use Windows Explorer to copy the pics to a folder I created on the hard drive just for pics from my camera (as the camera appears as another drive), I have a photo editing program (Corel Photopaint) to edit the pics, I use Irfanview to view pics, etc.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 4:41 PM   #9

Thanks
Old Jun 19, 2003, 5:58 PM   #10

faibs... You should avoid progammes that MOVE copies off card to disk and do things in one hit. Sounds easier, but you can get the USB interface clogged up doing to much and there's a risk something goes wrong and you've got no pics on the card to go back to.

Use Windows Explorer to COPY files. When you are sure they are on your HD (i.e with ACDSee or irfanview they actually open) then delete off card - preferably with the camera.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote