Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:06 PM   #1

Yes, I am very curious to know how can a person out grow a dSLR camera, a camera that already offers full photographic controls, interchangeable lenses, and superior image quality...

???
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:52 PM   #2

where would you go from dslr? medium format sized-sensor cameras? i think it'd be pretty easy to outgrow the features/limitations of a particular model, or find something new that suits your needs better, but i dont think its really possible to outgrow a dslr unless you move onto something else entirely.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 1:16 PM   #3

So? Would it be wiser for a person to get the MOST ADVANCE his or her money can afford, so that him or her wouldn't have to waste money upgrading later on??? (Considering that dSLR cameras are usually long live cameras?)

On the other hand, I would like you to clarify this statement of yours >>>

Quote:

i think it'd be pretty easy to outgrow the features/limitations of a particular model
For example???

Old Nov 16, 2006, 1:59 PM   #4

Higher level cameras offer a few advantages. Typically (not always) faster burst rates (more FPS), faster available shutter speeds, faster AF, better build quality are some of the advantages you get as you move up. Also control is a factor. Higher end cameras usually have more control options that are tied to buttons rather than buried in menus allowing for faster access and the ability to make changes on the fly rather than digging through menus. Other little things like iso adjsutments in 1/3 stops rather than half or full are usually available as well. Overall, the ease and speed of shooting is increased as well as durability. IQ wise, you will usually get more resolution (though not always) and possibly more customization options. I don't think you can ever outgrow a camera...the only real reason to upgrade is to take advantage of the extra speed and durability, and unless your a working pro, getting a pro level camera is overkill. The truth is, you'll likely be replacing bodies fairly often anyway to take advantage of new technology and advances, so for a non working pro, you're probably better off investing in lenses as they will have more of an impact on IQ than the body (though not as much as your skills)
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 2:06 PM   #5

I would agree with jrseeney.
Cameras are finally starting to get to a point where upgrading a DSLR is not really that helpful. The resolution is high enough, their AF is good enough, the metering modes are advanced enough...

For most people, they could buy a Canon 30D, Nikon D70 or D200 and be happy for many, many years.

If you push the boundries of your camera.... If you really strive to get those difficult shots that require an advanced camera, then you might feel the need to upgrade. But for the vast majority of people, 6-8MP is enough.. the shutter lag is low enough.. the camera gets exposure right almost all the time... that there is really no need to upgrade the camera body. You can hold out for a generation or two (or never upgrade.) The differences aren't great enough.

Now, the lenses are another matter. Buying a quality lens will last you 20 years or more. Lenses don't change as often as cameras.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 2:46 PM   #6

Thanks guys,foryour very informative inputs. At least now I am beginning to getmore insides about the world of dSLR cameras. 8)8)

I agree that certain dSLR aspects are important forthe (busy)working professional who shoots under harsh environments, shoots challenging actions, and havefrequent usage of their dSLR cameras etc...It can all get very tough I know...I have read through (half-way) a book about industrial photography; and mann, I can just see all of the challenges involved for the poor photographer. (Thereare even people problems to deal with; as if shootingunder chemically infested factory atmospheresaren't already badenough!) I have also read aboutthe industrial photographers having assignments out in thebitter cold whetherand snow storms! (There are more things!)

In short, I agree that certain aspect(s) of a dSLR camerasuch asa durable body,fast auto-focus,and good controlsare essential thingsfor someworking professional photographers. : P (In this case, the cost will be justified)