Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 18, 2003, 2:48 PM   #11

NHL.

Actually I only got one battery (but gonna buy one more - but to be honest I dont know why - but I guess it's nice having a backup).

Regarding the "hard" trigger! The D100 has a "anti-chok mode", that locks up the mirror just before triggering. Very nice feature - but not often used. Wonder if the 10D got that menu-setting ? Did you check that ? Or you just have to buy a VR lens!

I'm a bit surprised about your observations on the viewfinder! What do you mean by "not having enough contrast" and "dark".
I never heard about this before. what do you mean ?

I agree in that they're too small (D100 is anyway - but not a "problem", just something to get used to).

Well, maybe the next DSLR (that can be paid by humans) will satisfy our needs 100% - but I doubt.

BTW - do you have any information on the Nikon Shutter - how many times it' s garantied to go ?
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 3:43 PM   #12
NHL

Klaus

Well my honest opinion is this whole dSLR business is darn to big and heavy!!! The D7's (and the 5700) is a work of art in convenience... and portability 8). I'm now up to three lenses and their weight... Oh boy (plus all thoses sync cords if you have the Nikon)!!! BTW How do you hook up the sync cord on the D100?

Quote:
I wish it was easier to manual focus. The view finder just doesn't have enough contrast and is kinda dark.
Eric, now you know why I went for f2.8 with all my zooms... ie brighter viewfinder. I usually shoot scenic with a polarizer that would cut several more f-stop as well! . Your 400 is f5.6 if I remembered correctly so that's why... I really like the fast and quiet ultrasonic though with the fact that you can either use the camera's AF or your 'fingers' on the fly.

Quote:
Regarding the "hard" trigger! The D100 has a "anti-chok mode", that locks up the mirror just before triggering. Very nice feature - but not often used. Wonder if the 10D got that menu-setting ? Did you check that ? Or you just have to buy a VR lens!
Yeap, the 10D has this as well in custom function (C.Fn-12) for macro and super tele where mirror shake could be a problem.

The battery on the 10D last pretty long too, I've shot several days in a row without having to recharge it (may be because I don't use the LCD), and over several hundred shots with the microdrives... I'm actually waiting to see when it'll die to try out my new 1500mAh that I've just got from B+H. It's 30% more powerful at 1/2 the cost! :P

The motorized pop-up flash is a pain in the behind (I disabled it right off from the custom function). It always seems to pop on by itself to give the AF a help, but works fine without it even in dark indoor! I've set to enable only with external flash at least it's infrared then, and won't bother people as much as the built-in bright pulses. :?

BTW the CF door also turns the camera on in the 10D, just slide it back and forth! Really convenenient for checking the camera status... The 2nd on/off switch on the Quick Control Dial is totally useless, ie it always needs to be ON all the time or just delete the Quick Control Dial! :twisted:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 10:42 PM   #13

We should almost move this thread into a different section... except it would have to be in both the Nikon and Canon DSLR areas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus
Well, if I have the spare money I plan on only buying IS lenses. I need all the help I can get! But I should look into this custom function. It isn't really what I'm talking about, though. Its just mechanically how the trigger button works. I'd like to be able to depress the button with less force to get the trigger to fire. But I always feel it takes more than I want and therefor I add vibration into the system. But I'm a soft touch guy... I like my computer keyboards with the lightest pressure keys as well.

Quote:
I'm a bit surprised about your observations on the viewfinder! What do you mean by "not having enough contrast" and "dark".
I never heard about this before. what do you mean ?
NHL hit it right. My main lens is the 100-400L F4.0-5.6. I'm out at 400 about 80% of the time, making my view darker than I'd like. I also think that the screen used in the view isn't one which is very good for manual focus. to do good manual focus, you need to be able to see details. I bet the view they chose does not have a good magification and instead is bright (if it weren't for my lens choice.) Check out this link for more info about the view finder:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...03-03-16.shtml

I wish I could replace the screen (I'd consider getting a split focus screen, but that would hurt/break metering) which gives better manual focus. But maybe the whole problem is just that I'm using a really slow, dark lens so much?

I know someone who knows exactly how many shutter clicks the D100 is rated for. I'll ask.

NHL

It's interesting what you say about the on/off on the quick control dial. I agree with you, I don't see the need of it. When I showed my 10D to my D100 using friend he liked that switch basically saying that he bumps the equivalent dial (multi selector?) on the D100 and it changes the settings easily. Never done that myself, and therefor I always leave that switch to "on".

I think I get less battery life than you because I use IS all the time. That drains the batteries a lot. Gonna have to get another battery and a car charger for topping off.

Now if I could afford the 400mm F2.8, I'd be a very happy man (because I'd have won the lottery!) I do agree, thought, I'd get the sigma 80(?)-200 f2.8 like you have. I've heard good things about its picture quality and focus speed. I have the 50 f1.8, so I should try to do some manual focusing tests with that and see how easy it is.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 8:30 AM   #14
NHL

Eric

You know what? I really question the benefit of IS (or VR) in shorter zoom... I can see why one would need this for Sport/Action/Wildlife on a 400mm, but on the EF 28-135 IS that I just got, it creates more chattering and completly defeats the USM quietness!

This lens can compensate for handshake, but what about exposure? ie if it's too dark wouldn't a flash render the pictures better anyway? IMO the Sigma EX 24-70mm constant f2.8 for the same price (actually less because of the hood/case) would have been a better choice, it's just too bad that this EX lens doesn't come in HSM yet (but the EF 28-135 IS is not a quiet lens anyway ops .
Old Jun 19, 2003, 9:16 AM   #15

NHL

I agree with you on IS. It doesn't really seem worth it on the shorter zoom. There are probably times when it helps, and it probably gives me an extra bit of sharpness that I wouldn't have had otherwise... but if the shutter speed never dips under 1/125 or so, it should take sharp pictures. Easily sharp enough for me.

Personally, I got that lens more to fill the gap with a single lens which is good enough. Sure, I'd rather it be faster (all things being equal)... who wouldn't? But is a good weight and size and takes accurate pictures (doesn't shift colors, doesn't flare with my usage patterns....)

The only win for IS on this lens is to make up for its max fstop... and as you pointed out, that only helps with static subjects.

At least you got the fast focus of USM. But it's IS is rather loud (certainly louder than the 100-400L.) But this isn't my main lens by far. I expect that I'll go between the 100-400L and the 50F1.4 with extention tubes for macro.

How large and heavy is that Sigma? I do miss having a case quite a lot. I haven't needed the lens hood, but I wouldn't hold my nose up to one.

Eric
Old Jun 19, 2003, 9:52 AM   #16
NHL

FYI
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...=272&catid=289

It's not light, there's a lot of glass for that wide angle plus the constant f2.8 (24.7oz/700g)!
Old Jun 19, 2003, 1:36 PM   #17

Quote:
BTW - do you have any information on the Nikon Shutter - how many times it' s guarantied to go ?
I talked to a 20+ year Nikon using friend and he says that all Nikon amateur cameras (which the D100 is one) are rated for 50,000 clicks. The Pro gear is rated for 150,000.

Eric
Old Jun 21, 2003, 11:36 PM   #18
NHL

Eric/Klaus

Apparently there's a trick in the 10D to mitigate this minor issue:
Quote:
Each little image comes up fast but fuzzy, and takes a second to come in clearly so you can see it...
If one pushes the zoom button and keep this display setting on the 10D and use the smaller dial by the shutter (instead of the rear Quick Control Dial to move around) then the pictures are non-progressive, ie they remain tack sharp as one move quickly from one picture to the next! BTW this mode is really cool since it kept the same magnification as one moves from one frame to another without having to zoom-in(or out) every time... with each picture. 8)

As for this comment:
Quote:
I also find things that I need to adjust often, like image compression, are hidden as menus on the Canon 10D but available as a knob on the Nikon D100. I may be wrong about the menus: have a look yourself at the Canon and see if you can find the direct access buttons.
I programmed my SET button under C.Fn-01 to do that one button 'image compression' adjustment that the author was talking about! May be he needs to play with the 10D a little more since there's a few more buttons that you can also customize... :P :P :P