Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 17, 2003, 10:15 AM   #1

Default 10D, D100 HEAD TO HEAS COMPARISON?

Does anyone know of any head to head comparisons of the 10D and the D100. Im trying to decide which one i want to purchase to replace an older digicam and am down to these two. I dont have many accessories that will work with either and would be more or less starting from scratch. Suggestions on lense compliments. OEM or others... Thanks
thos913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2003, 2:00 PM   #2

Check out Ken Rockwell at this link. He really got a point there!

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/10dd100.htm
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 10:39 PM   #3

Here is another link:
http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/D100vs10D.shtml

It's a little slow right now. It is a comparison of features more than a explicit review of "which is better." This is nice, because you don't get a biased about what they care about, and can instead make the decision for yourself.

I hadn't seen that comparison Klaus, thanks for the link.

I have to say that I would generally agree with what Ken says. The difference is more about personal preference than technology. Some say that the 10D's CCD has less noise at higher ISOs than the D100. I haven't tested this (but I guess I could, a friend has the D100.) I do think that the 10D handles altering exposure compensation better than the D100 (in Aperture and Shutter Priority, any ways.) I don't change compression, but if Ken's description is correct, then I agree that it would be annoying to do. He also didn't mention about how the D100 has a true spot meter, while the 10D doesn't. For some, that matters. I wish I had it.

To me, the reason to buy one over the other is one of two things:
1) It fits you better. By this I mean things like: It fits your hands better. You like layout of buttons better. The D100 is smaller & lighter, and this could matter. Do not ignore these types of issues. If you don't find it comfortable to use you won’t use it as much.

2) The total package meets your needs better. For me, Canon's longer lenses (400, 500, & 600mm) lenses are significantly cheaper. We're talking over $1000USD, and they have IS where Nikon doesn't. But that might not matter to you. Nikon has a good set of Macro lenses, and the DX lens line will offer cheap(er) wide angle.

Please do not buy into the Nikon or Canon system because of the specific camera body. You will replace that body in 3-5 years. But the lenses you purchased will be with you for 10 or 20 years. Make sure they offer what you want as a complete system, because its in the accessories that you will be stuck for a long time.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 6:25 AM   #4
NHL

Just to chime in since me too I could have gone either way, IMO you can't go wrong with either camera. Just make sure to buy the IF (or USM) lenses to get the quiet and quick response of the ultrasonic as well as the instant manual focusing overide!

BTW one feature that both reviews has left out is the wireless flash system. This may or may not be important to some people, but having remote TTL flashes with different ratio and without cords is quite handy (plus no need to carry, untangle, or pull on them). It seems like Nikon has left out the SU-4 wireless feature out of all their dSLRs...

Hey but you can get AA battery grip on the Nikon's :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 9:07 AM   #5

NHL.

Nikon has an attatchment to the hotshoe for wireless!

AND not to forget - on D100 you can view you shots INSTANTLY. And go forward and backward with NO (really NO) delay! You dont have to wait that annoying second or two. This is a very important issue, when you need to review your shot and be ready for the next one! (I love this speed on D100, it was one of the thing that irritated me on the other digicams I've owned).

With D100 you can shoot and review, while the 10D are waiting for the next review)

Just wanted to point this important issue out!
Old Jun 18, 2003, 10:01 AM   #6
NHL

Klaus

That's exactly what I was refering to: The SU-4 wireless hotshoe adapter is not supported by any dSLR including the the D1s... check the specs/fine print! (2nd page: TTL operation is not possible with D1 series or D100)
http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/speed...ttl_system.pdf

You can use the SU-4 as a dumb slave, but any photoeye can do that as well, and probably cheaper too... :lol:

Not only it's supported, but up to 4 users can use the Canon system simultaneously without interfering on one another. They can group them with different ratios as well as having flash exposure lock on key area, all through TTL... and the modeling light also all at the touch of a button on the camera!

BTW my LCD is off the whole time... what review? I shoot with 1G microdrives or flash cards remember? I rather save the batteries for more shootings than wear them out on that power hungry tiny LCD!
Old Jun 18, 2003, 11:08 AM   #7

NHL

You're absolutely right about the wireless thing. I dont think this is such an important issue for a whole lot of people. The cables is there for Nikon. The result will be the same.

Regarding this:

Quote:
BTW my LCD is off the whole time... what review? I shoot with 1G microdrives or flash cards remember? I rather save the batteries for more shootings than wear them out on that power hungry tiny LCD!
That was exactly my point! Maybe you're already tired of waiting for the review and that's why you're not turning the LCD on! In my humble opinion, that one of the great things about digital cameras - the LCD. They are not the best, but they works for most people for at fast view - on the D100 anyway.
Why do you want to save your batteries ? The D100 you can shoot over thousand frames without any charge of batteries. How often do you shoot over ...lets say 500 shots, without being able to recharge (or put in your backup battery) ? Your argument is not that good is'nt it!

The two camera are both great machines. The only thing that part them, is their functionality (and price) IMO. D100 is certainly the most easy and fastest to use.

(is this turning into the ols D7i/5700 discussion ?)
:lol: :lol:
Old Jun 18, 2003, 11:50 AM   #8
NHL

Klaus

It's not really the same as I've point it out on at least one other occasion. With the cords, they pull on the flashes -> you'll need clamps and then lightstands or something to bolt the flash units to otherwise the flashes will have a hard time staying put with the cords yanking on them... The wireless units can just be put on it's cute little plastic foot and voila! (Plus you don't have to unpack your bag of cables, untangle them and rewind them after each use and then carry them as well with your already heavy dSLR gears)

With the 10D you can always program the display to show up automatically after each shot (or stay on a long time), I just don't use it... I rather watch the 9 frame buffers count down in the viewfinder which is slightly more than the D100 (especially even in raw+jpeg). Also with the 10D you can quickly change from the play mode to the camera mode by just pressing the shutter, so it's quite speedy here as well... It just that I haven't got the chance to get used to this rear LCD fad yet even with my D7! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But you're right we don't want to get into the 5700/D7's again, but it's healthy to point out each camera plus/minuses... Agree? BTW the minus on the 10D is its heavy metal body... and I'll go for the lighter D100 polycarbonate! :P
Old Jun 18, 2003, 1:05 PM   #9

Quote:
with the cords yanking on them...
Oh boy, do studiopeople have these huge problems... LOL

I agree on pointing out the bad things and not what I rather would have - it's too late anyway - I bought it.

These are the things I find, thats not so well on the D100 (after shooting over 8000 RAW files):

The features to make in-camera sharpening are not good. Jpgs seems to soft. I shoot RAW and these are FANTASTIC in every way.

JPEG files not tagged with correct coloorprofile when colormode II selected.

Compressed RAW mode is almost unusable - takes too long to generate.

Slow sync flash.

The CF door is not fitting tight enough - but I put in a tiny rubberdot - it works very well.

CCD not protected to prevent dust on it. (okay - I can easily blow it away).

To be honest - as you can see NHL - with my shootingstyle I got the right digicam. It's a kind of funny about the battery. It has always been a problem in digicams to get them to last. This battery in the D100 just last and last. Once in a while I go out early in the morning, turns my camera on - shoots all days, with and without flash - and turn it of in the evening. I NEVER turn it off durning a days shooting. It's true! I have never seen the battery on LOW or blink or anything. I can shoot for days without rechargeing. This is so great!

Well let's hear some honest personal problems with your 10D.

Regards
Klaus
Old Jun 18, 2003, 1:37 PM   #10

Well, here are my small problems with the 10D.

I agree with you about the delay in displaying the pictures. It's really annoying and slow. I assume the flash writing draws so much power that it doesn't *nothing* else while writing out the picture. I assume the D100 does this better (by your description it does.) Basically, I just don't review the pictures unless I fear I missed it. This sucks, as I loose that benefit of digital.

I wish it powered on faster. I dislike when it auto-powers off and then I bring up the camera and tap the shutter and... nothing. So I wait the few seconds for power-on and I could have missed the shot. I've been known to tap the shutter while bringing up the camera (or even when I think a shot could be happening soon) just to make sure its powered on and ready.

I wish it was easier to manual focus. The view finder just doesn't have enough contrast and is kinda dark.

I'd like it to be lighter.... light is good.

I wish the trigger was a bit... softer? I'm doing a lot at 400mm, and I want to press the trigger smoothly (to reduce vibration) but the resistance of the shutter seems to require more force than I want. Of course, this could cause troubles with the 1/2 way down setting, so this might be unrealistic.

I read an interview with one of the lead designers of the D100. When asked what the greatest feature was (in his opinion) and he said battery life (followed by size and weight.) It's one of those things that doesn't get trumpted in the literature and ads, but he felt it was really important. I can see that. I'm going to have to buy another battery soon, but I wonder if I would have had to with the D100.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote