Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 17, 2003, 2:52 PM   #1

Default Durability + Weatherproof"ness". Any insight??

Hello:

I am going to purchase a 5 Megapixel (not SLR) camera in the next week or so. I will be traveling and durability and the weatherproof issue is of great concern.

I have researched many cameras and these topics are hardly touched upon.

Is any brand or particular camera in this class stand out as being extra resilient. Are there any you would warn me about.

In general how durable are digital cameras. I am aware that no electronics really like water.

What is the story with the waterproof cases. I dive so I would consider the investment. Do they spoil the quality of the picture or resolution / lighting at all?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
strongedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2003, 7:27 PM   #2
SSD

Check out Steve's review on the Olympus Stylus 400. It is a 4 MP camera but it is weatherproof.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...stylus400.html
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 7:53 PM   #3

i just got a oly c5050 (shared with my wife and daughter) and the matching P015 UW housing. it is a beautiful match. actually i was astounded at the price of the housing at $160US. good down to 40 meters and access to all controls. the 35mm WA lens is a 50mm equivelent underwater and the zooms up nicely. i'm only a snorkeler and sea kayaker but it works for me. the only thing is that i need some more weight to get neutral bouyancy as it tends to float even with the supplied weight.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 10:38 AM   #4

Thank you for your insight! Quick question, can you shoot with this housing out of water... does it affect resolution or clarity. For example, if it was a misty day could I shoot outdoors like i usually do but with the housing on?

Also, where did you pick up the housing for $160?

How do you llike the c5050, I have been looking at it closely.

Thanks again

Happy shooting.

Justin

[quote="sjms"]i just got a oly c5050 (shared with my wife and daughter) and the matching P015 UW housing. it is a beautiful match. actually i was astounded at the price of the housing at $160US. good down to 40 meters and access to all controls. the 35mm quote]
Old Jun 18, 2003, 10:51 AM   #5

http://www.mdiusa.com/cgi-local/Soft...729+1058517404

above is where i bought it. it's up $10 now

optical glass port for lens no res issues. all controls accessable and useable. easy in easy out.

i will sea kayak with it. good above and below water.

so far it shoots good. would have preferred a wider angle can't add WA attachment in UW housing. no one makes a hard housing for my D7Hi. and a can't see getting one for my 1Ds.

i think you'll like it.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 1:53 PM   #6

sjms and all,

Thank you for the help. I am definitely intrigued by the C-5050. The other 2 contenders are the G5 and the 4-letter Sony-DSC-f717. All of these cameras get great reviews, especially the Sony for image quality.

I am an amateur at best but I definitely want to learn and grow with my purchase.

First, primary uses of my camera:

-Outdoors, nature and hopefully wide landscapes.
-Architecture and people - city shooting
-Maybe less, Indoors, , friends and family etc.

Image quality is important because I want to print and blow up photos to max size possible in some cases.

With the C-5050 there is talk about a lot of noise in terms of image quality and a couple of other cons about image quality...chromaitc aberations.

Are you able to work around these?

I also read in a review that you cannot attach filters to the larger lense (does this make sense)

Please clarify, the camera has lense threads for attachments, correct? Can you use filters. How is the wide angle and telephoto attachments.

Thanks again for helping me with this big decision, and yes, I am realistic and realize that all cameras in the digital world represent a compromise in one regard or another.

Regards,

Justin