Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 18, 2003, 8:38 AM   #1

Default Continuous shots until shutter button released

I love the functionality of the Fuji S602 where it will take 2 shots per second until you release the trigger and will remember the last 5 so you can select which one to keep. This is especially helpful when taking pictures of children - by the time you want to snap it, they are done with that cute expression or looking another way.

Are there any other cameras that do this? I don't want a 0 second shutter speed. I want a "he smiled a 1/2 second ago, release the shutter button, and get shots from the last several seconds".

Many cameras have abilities to take fast shots all in a row, but when getting a picture of a child, I may be holding down the button for 1/2 minute waiting for the opportune time. I don't want 30 or more pictures automatically stored on the media.

I really like the Canon S45, S50,... do they have this functionality? What about others?
tofte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2003, 8:56 AM   #2

I haven't heard of this feature, but this is a level of camera which I have not researched. I think its a great feature, though. That definitely makes taking pictures of certain situations much easier!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 9:41 AM   #3

Default TRY

The Olympus E100 RS....if you can find one?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 10:51 AM   #4

Continuous shooting is a common feature... even my Canon Pro90 has it, though it's pretty slow (around one shot per second or so) because the camera has a lot of noise reduction circuitry. The 100RS excels in this feature because of its big buffer. Most cameras will shoot fairly quickly for the first three or four pictures until the buffer fills up.

I've found it a useful feature when shooting pets and kids.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 1:18 PM   #5

Tofte correct me here.

The point isn't that tofte wants continuous shooting. What he wants is to have the camera take pictures as fast as possible until the buffer fills. Then it should drop the oldest picture and buffer up the new picture. The pictures are never written to the flash memory, they just get rotated into and out of the memory buffer. Then, when you take your finger off the trigger, all the pictures in the buffer are written to flash.

This would allow infinite "X pictures per second" but you only keep the last 9 (or so, whatever the camera can buffer.)

Eric
Old Jun 18, 2003, 2:35 PM   #6

My camera claims to take about 3 photos per second, but after the first 10 photos it practically stops. It's way, way slower after that and therefore useless for taking lots of photos very quickly.

My camera's a Canon S45.
Grand Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 5:39 PM   #7

Final frame capture on release, or first 5 frame capture on shoot and continuous shooting are built in 602 features. Add to this, you can hold the pics in the buffer and then select the one's you want to save to flash, keeps wasted card space to a minimum.

If you're shooting planes at airshows, or most action stuff - this is a great feature but in the 602, the AF and white bal are done on the first frame (to keep the shot speed up) so action must move across the focal plane, not into it! Once you've half or fully pressed the shutter, the cam has done all its auto things for the rest of the sequence.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 2:35 AM   #8

Is it same as the burst mode?
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 9:07 AM   #9

I don't know what camera's "burst mode" you are referign to. But my assumption is no, they are not the same. If I saw burst mode as a feature to a camera, I would assume that every picture taken was written to the flash memory. And when the buffer was full, it would stop taking pictures so it could write the ones buffered up to flash.

In this case, only the last several (usually around 8 or 9) pictures are written to flash memory, the rest are thrown away.

Eric
Old Jun 20, 2003, 8:10 AM   #10

Eric S, you are correct in what I want. I don't want continuous shooting that will fill up a Flash memory. I want a rotating shot buffer that only keeps the last x shots.

They Olympus E-100RS review states something that sounds similar to what I want:
"Pre-Capture mode allows capturing one to five images before the shutter is fully depressed, eliminating shutter lag completely"

It's 640x480 30fps video doesn't hurt either. Nice. BUT:
Only 1.5 Megapixel? Is there a more recent version with more Megapixels? How about a smaller size (similar to the pocket Olympus cameras)?
tofte is offline   Reply With Quote