Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:03 PM   #1

I'm just after a bit of help really, I'm well into aperture priority(Blurred background)photos at the minute where the main subject is in focus and the background is out of focus, I 've learnt that the bigger depth of field the better the aperture priority takes effect. Mainly small objects work better.

Ido alot of car photography as they areOne of my favourite Interests, never have ionce been able to make the photos aperture priority. It just doesn't work and its so frustrating, I can edit them in photoshop but i want it straight off the camera as it looks alot better natrural.

Hope someone out there can help me on this
Redsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:39 PM   #2

Aperature Priority simply means that you set the Aperature and the camera will set the shutter speed for proper exposure. To get the blurred background you want you'll need a large aperature (the smaller the number, the larger the aperature) and a fairly distant background behind the car you're shooting. Of course lens choice and lens quality will come into effect. A lens that is not very bright will not get you the results as easily.

Experiment with larger aperatures and different focal lengths and you'll get better results!
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 6:16 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi Redsquare,

Are you shooting with a dSLR or with a compact?

There are2 mainthings to consider when trying to get a reduced depth of field (dof).

1. Aperture 2. Focal length

1. The wider the aperture the smaller the dof throwing out the background

2. The longer the lens you use the again the more effect you will see so frame as tight as possible. Now this is not to say that by doubling the distance to get double the focal length is going to give a major difference, I am talking about using the longest lens you can for the distance you are away. Yes there is a very slight gain by moving away from the subject and using a longer lens but this is all but negligible. This also comes back to my question if you are using dSLR or not as by having a dSLR you will have a lens which is a lot longer for the same distance from your subject than you would with a compact or superzoom.

Here are two examples which hopefully show you what I mean.

1. Subject about 5m away, focal length 235mm, f4. As you can see the background is completely blurred out.

2. Subject about 5m away, focal length 107mm, f3. As you can see the background is still blurred but by nowhere near as much.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 4:14 AM   #4

Hi mark, I have a compact FUJIFILM finepixS5600 and it has a maxfocal length of 63.00mm so not a great amount for these type of shots by the sound of what you've said.

I'm hoping to be upgrading to a Nikon D70 shortly after christmas, Its a package that comes with 2 lenses an 18-70mm and a 55-200mm lens kit.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 4:37 AM   #5
Super Moderator

That's cool, changing to a dSLR will help for sure. Depending on cash though I would look at the lenses you are getting in the kit as getting a reduced DOF is key to you. The 18-70 lens is f3.5-4.5 and the 55-200 is f4-5.6 neither of which will be great for what you want (although still better than your current Fuji). I would consider getting a brighter standard zoom lens such as the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 or Tamron 17-50 f2.8. For longer range look at the Sigma 70-200 f2.8. These combos would be great for what you want. However there are also the Nikon options but you can double the price or more for these.

If you can't go for these initially then stick with the kit and upg when you can as you will still be getting better results (I might consider the Tamron or Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 lenses in place of the Nikon one as you will get better results as the f stop is lower at higher focal lengths than the Nikon 55-200).

Hope this helps.

Mark
Old Nov 23, 2006, 4:42 AM   #6

Very greatful for the help MarkYou might have just put me on the right tracks to sway away from that package:-)I'm really undecided at the moment but i'll have a budget of £500 any suggestions of what you think would be good for me within this price range. I'd prefer canon or Nikon
Old Nov 23, 2006, 6:19 AM   #7
Super Moderator

It's going to be tough with a budget of £500 and as for the Canon/Nikon choice that is down to you. I am a Canon man personally but that is just because I have used them in the past etc. I would have a serious look at the Nikon D50 as Warehouse Express have a really good price on them at the moment £325 or £380 with the basic lens so you could consider just the body and the Sigma mentioned earlier. Yes this will take you over budget and you would still want something like the 70-300 Sigma or Tamron as well to get some range.

Food for thought!