Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:15 PM   #1

Iwant to start custom setting my camera white balance. what should I buy?

White Balance Disc or Grey Card for my Canon 20D.

I hear a little about the Expodisc but they a way too expensive. Should I get a cheeper disc or a Gray card. If I need to go with the Gray card how big does it have to be and how do you use it?

Help

RP33
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2006, 3:19 PM   #2

Any piece of really white material about 3x4 inches should be good. I use a piece of white vinyl vertical blind slat. An 18% gray card, available at most full service camera stores, can be used but is more for metering purposes.

You camera's user manual should be able to guide you how to take a custom reading as the methods vary by manufacturer. Usually it's a menu item in the white balance menu.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:37 PM   #3

I bought two 8 1/2" x 11" gray card off e-bay for about $4. I cut one down to about 4"x4" to carry in my camera bag and left the other full size. I also have a piece of white foam board that I use. My opinion the expodisc is just way too expensive, they work really good, but the price is too high for what you get.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 8:08 PM   #4

There is a lens cleaning cloth on the market called "Spudz" , the material used is 18% grey, maybe worth a look

http://www.adorama.com/CPMFCGXL.html#Alpine-Innovations-Spudz,-the-most-Convenient-18%-Gray-Micro-Fiber-Cleaning-Cloth,-Extra-Large,-10"-x-10".

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:08 AM   #5

I found this in my camera manual. Would you agree or would white be just as good?

Instead of a White object an 18% Gray card can produce a more accurate white balance.

Agree or disagree

I have a Canon 20D
Old Nov 28, 2006, 8:05 AM   #6

I've used both methods for setting custom white balance with my cameras including a 20D (18% gray card) and the expodisk. I shoot sports and really needed something for the lighting in gyms.I started out with the 18% gray card and it works very, VERY well.I also used the expodisk and it seemed to workjust as well.

I've used the expodisk outside on anovercast day with excellent results. I haven't found much use for either method in changing light conditions.

One advantageI think the expodisk may have is this: If you are shooting a subject pretty faraway (landscape maybe).With the gray card methodyou pretty much have the card close to you to set your white balance. Could be a problem if thefocus of your shot is 1/2 a mile a way (Mountains, seascape, perhaps you can't even reach the scene, ie... canyon shots).With the expodisk, you point your lens toward the source of the light falling on the subject.

Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 7:04 PM   #7

Is the a cheeper disc that will work as good as the expodisc?