Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:51 AM   #1

I currently own a Nikon D70s which you all know is rated at 6.1 MP. I have absolutely loved using it to get my feet wet in the field of DSLRs.

I was just recently approached by a family asking me to take their Christmas portraits. I know for a fact that they will want to have 8x10 prints of these shots and I became concerned when I realized that the 6.1 MP image only affords a 10x6 image at 300 dpi.

How noticable with the interpolation after cropping to the proper proportions be with 8x10 prints?
borntoworship09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:25 AM   #2

You won't notice the difference! I had 8x10s made from a 5mp Coolpix 5700 and they are great.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:29 AM   #3

as long as the shots are done technically well (sharply focussed with a good lens and properly exposed) you can get a very good 16x20 from a 6 meg APC sized sensor

KM 7D 6.1 meg printed razor sharp 11x14:

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 5:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 7:35 PM   #4

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
as long as the shots are done technically well (sharply focussed with a good lens and properly exposed) you can get a very good 16x20 from a 6 meg APC sized sensor
Yep, that's the basic truth. Essentially it's the case that 300dpi is the 'perfect' resolution, as in you won't notice any difference by going higher unless you're looking with a powerful magnifying glass, whereas under 'normal viewing conditions' (as in standing a few feet from the frame) you can easily go down to about 150dpi before you'll start to notice a drop in quality.
As said, you just really need to make sure it's properly focused and sharply exposed, as flaws will be magnified - and most importantly try to make sure to frame the shots you don't need to crop any more than is necessasy to make it fit the right dimensions.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote