Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 19, 2003, 7:44 PM   #1

Default Canon PowerShot A70 or Minolta DiMAGE S414

I have a big problem.I must buy a digital camera till 23 of june.
I would like to buy a camra which will be for the advanced user or the beginner who wants a camera they can grow into.I have compared these two cameras and i think they have both + and -.
I do not know much about digital camras and i can't handle with this problem.Please help me!!!

And sorry for my english :-)
rok4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2003, 3:48 AM   #2

This is a tough call, I personally like the a70's feature set and design better, but the minolta does have the extra mp. Therefore, I suggest the minolta if you want to be able to print out 8x10s and still have the ability to crop images (or print out larger than 8x10" with no cropping) but if you only plan on printing out up to 8x10" with no cropping, i'd go with the a70.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2003, 4:52 AM   #3

Ardvark's advice is pretty good.

I own the predecessor to the Minolta and the extra MP does come in handy for cropping purposes. I think both cameras will provdie excellent quality pics. I am of course more pro Minolta than Canon. But the Canon does have the advantage of a better capability to accept add-on lenses. the Minolta has an unusual 35.5mm lens barrel size.

Additionally, the 4X zoom on the Minolta is very handy at times. My web site has a large number of a variety of pics taken with the Minolta S404 the earlier version of the S414.

Good luck.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2003, 5:24 AM   #4

I on the other hand am biased towards the A70 - it has waayyyy more manual control than the 414. I did consider the 414 myself but plumped for the Canon in the end.

The above plus points for the Minolta are all very valid and I have seen some super quality pics from this cam.

However I plumped for the Canon on the basis of the extra manual control and I like Canon having used/still using their 35mm cams in the past/present.

The canon is VERY intuitive to use - can't comment on the MInolta.

I suspect you will be happy with either.

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2003, 5:39 AM   #5

THX for all advices and I'm waiting for more,because users which know the subject well can help me;-)
Old Jun 20, 2003, 5:48 AM   #6

Here You can compare these 2 cameras http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp