Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:01 AM   #1

I have noticed that sometimes people post images that have been manipulated on their computer (and I don't mean just sharpness or saturation or levels) I mean using Photoshop to cut out and paste or using filters to create action blurs or other effects and such. Is that okay? I don't have a problem with it, just wonderin if it is allowed. Some photography forums only allow manipulated photos in a separate area. Are manipulated photos allowed in the photo of the month competition? Just want to know...not criticizing.
Imaginat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:39 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
...I mean using Photoshop to cut out and paste or using filters to create action blurs or other effects and such. Is that okay
As long as they're not being misrepresented as something else (i.e., "these are straight from the camera"), I don't have a problem with someone posting photos that have been heavily edited. Using filters, etc. is a common practice.

Quote:
Some photography forums only allow manipulated photos in a separate area.
We do have a separate forum setup called Digital Art for more heavily modified images. But, the types of edits you're talking about are very common for other photos, too. So, feel free to post them in the most appropriate forum (People, Landscapes, etc.).

Quote:
Are manipulated photos allowed in the photo of the month competition? Just want to know...not criticizing.
Whether or not any edits are desirable for a given photo is going be a judgement call on a case by case basis by the judges. But, if you read the How to Enter section of our page about the POTD, you'll find this note. IOW, it's discouraged.

Quote:
We prefer pictures to be as "out of the camera" as possible with only manipulation of brightness, color correction and cropping.

How to Enter the POTD Contest

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 2:10 PM   #3

Thank you for your quick response!!!
Imaginat is offline   Reply With Quote