Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 2, 2006, 4:30 PM   #1

If anyone can answer this, I'd be so grateful! I have a 10mp camera. When images show up on photoshop elements, the info shown is that there are only 72 pixels per square inch. that is because the computer monitor will only support that many. Even when I go to Kinko's for enlargements, they bring the image up on their computer and they see the same info-72 pixels. They are reluctant to enlarge to the size I want.

So how can I tell how many pixels are really there? I want to be able to see how big I can enlarge my images.
janeywaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2006, 4:39 PM   #2

In photoshop go to the image menu and select image size, the pixel sizes shown tell you the image size. The 72ppi is irrelevant. Make sure resample image is not checked and change the dimensions to the print size you want. The ppi will change to the number available at that print size. up to 300 ppi the more the better but anything over 150 should be OK. To print bigger than the number of pixels allows select resample image and bicubic smoother. having previously set the desired print size set the ppi to something suitable say 200.

That the print shop don't understand this staggers me, find a better shop.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 4:52 PM   #3

Thanks so much, I will try that! As for Kinko's, believe it or not, after trying 4 diffferent printing venues, they do the best job. and they print a preview for me to check before okaying the work!
janeywaney is offline   Reply With Quote