Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 21, 2003, 12:25 AM   #1

Default Smartmedia to floppy drive adapter

I want to buy one of these adapters for my older labtop, but many say that they only support up to 64mb, or 32mb. I only use 128 mb smartmedia, so does that mean that it wont read from the flash card?

Can anyone recommend a brand or a certain floppy adapter that will would work with 128 mb smartmedia??

Has anyone had any problems with these that I should know about before buying?
djkothbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2003, 4:10 AM   #2

I have a FlashPath adapter, you are right, the older version I have supports only up to 32Mb which I found out with great difficulty, there's a subtle distinguishing feature on the case!!. I think they said the newer versions will go to 64Mb. But hang on, you've got really mega slow transfer rates and batteries in the adapter to worry about.

I use an old P133 Armada laptop. It has 2 pcmcia slots on the side. I bought a Smartmedia to pcmcia adaptor for about 23. You can get Compact flash as well and I can put my Microdrive in it. Transfer speeds are much faster. If you're thinking of sticking a bigger HD in it, and it's an oldish BIOS - I'll tell you how to do that. Bear in mind the graphics support and screen might not be up to much, memory will be small so don't run more than Win95/98SE.

I only use mine for image storage, running ACDsee in slideshow mode, and down sampling pics on location so I can email them. My only wish is for a USB port, but I got mine with Ethernet and Modem cards so that works.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2003, 6:05 AM   #3

Here's a link for a PCMCIA reader (if you have a slot).
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PA1040
Enter TECHBARGAINS in coupon box when checking out and save 10%.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2003, 10:29 AM   #4

....That looks an interesting card adaptor. Only does the flat cards, not CF though.

I wonder how they tested their claim to support 256Mb SmartMedia?
Old Jun 21, 2003, 11:28 AM   #5

This old Gatway 120 mhz labtop only supports 256 color graphics so it is pretty much crap for editing pics, so I would only use it for downloading pics to it. It has a 6gig in it, so I think that should be OK for a good number of pics. But anyway, that pcmcia card reader looks excllent! And it requires a 16 bit bus which is perfect. I bought a USB pc card and it turned out to require a 32 bit bus so it wouldnt work, that is why I thought these card readers would not work. Thanks for the help, I will pick one up from computer geeks.(I wish they had 256 mb smartmedia!!!)
Old Jun 21, 2003, 12:08 PM   #6

Quote:
I bought a USB pc card and it turned out to require a 32 bit bus
I got caught out on that one too!! There is no 16Bit adaptor card for USB. It's a pity they couldn't just downrate the usb speed so you could get usb to at least work, albeit a bit slower.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 2:36 PM   #7

That really made me mad when that usb card did not work because I couldnt use my new external usb hard drive drive with the labtop which made that useless also!! USB 1.X would have been just fine for my needs.